OT - How does Reputation work? (1 Viewer)

Niniel

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:03
Sorry, this isn't exactly an Access question, but I was trying to add to the reputation of people who've been answering my questions and got an error message that I had to spread some more reputation around before I could give anymore to this particular person.
I assumed that every time I received help I could click on that icon, but it doesn't seem to work that way.
So, how *does* this work?

Jakboi

Death by Access
Local time
Yesterday, 23:03
Yea I just started using as well...seeing so many people help me...think I gave out like 3 or 4 today.

Its probably to prevent to people just addin reputation to one person all day...kinda like spam protection...

Theres probably a limit of how much 1 person can give another in like a certain timeframe...

Niniel

Registered User.
Local time
Ah yes, that makes sense.
But how exactly does it work? One Praise/day? Week? Or does one have to commend x people before one can add more reputation to the first person?

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Niniel said:
Ah yes, that makes sense.
But how exactly does it work? One Praise/day? Week? Or does one have to commend x people before one can add more reputation to the first person?

I think you have to commend x number of other people before you can give reputation back to the first person again.

arashii

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:03
Where can you read the reputation of the people? :)

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Each person can see the last 5 of their own, but you can see the overall results by putting your mouse over the little green (or red, if they've been less than stellar), box on the top right of their posts.

I believe 0-50 is "x is on a distinguished road"

51 to ? is "x will become famous soon enough"

Don't know about the rest as I haven't gotten there yet. Also you get more points for someone with more posts than someone with only a few.

arashii

Registered User.
Local time
I see. I just read about the reputation thingy today and am now trying to find my earlier posts (thankfully few) to give some reputation to the wonderful people who helped me.

(But I guess since I have few posts the reputation I give out won't be of much value ~_~; ).

I wish we can read the reputation (even if only the good stuff) given out to people. :)

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Not to worry, if you want to get a few more posts before "spreading the reputation around" go to the Watercooler and make some comments :D

And on a more serious note, it really doesn't matter. It's still nice to see that you're getting reputation added, regardless of how many "points" it's worth.

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:03
Each person can see the last 5 of their own, but you can see the overall results by putting your mouse over the little green (or red, if they've been less than stellar), box on the top right of their posts.
I never even knew... How can you see the last 5 ???
Ah... I guessed right... User CP shows them...

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 04:03
Also you get more points for someone with more posts than someone with only a few.

Let me see if I've got this correct.

If somebody racks up a lot of posts in the Watercooler then I answer a simple question for them I can get more points than redesigning a database for a newbie? Well I guess that makes sense:rolleyes:

Brian

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I would think so, unfortunately, as it really can't distinguish between categories on the forum.

CraigDolphin

GrumpyOldMan in Training
Local time
I understand the concept that rep from people with more posts is worth more than from people with few posts. I keep getting rep from people worth zero points but with very enthusiastic comments. The most recent one was from a poster with ~ 25 posts.

How many posts does a poster need in order to provide at least one point?

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Erm, I thought points weren't dependent on posts but rather the points you have. Based on what I learned from another vBulletin forum, whenever you give out a green jello, it's based on a percentage of total points you have, while the red jello is half of that.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I understand the concept that rep from people with more posts is worth more than from people with few posts. I keep getting rep from people worth zero points but with very enthusiastic comments. The most recent one was from a poster with ~ 25 posts.

How many posts does a poster need in order to provide at least one point?

I'm not really sure. If they have been a member, even without posts, for a year then they give a min of 1 rep point. It may be that the minimum post count is 50, if Jon kept the defaults as I was looking through the vBulletin documentation on their site and it had that as the starting point.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
It can be bit frustrating. I know that I have received 10-20 comments for every one that gives me at least 1 point. And sometimes the ratio is even higher. 40:1

So, hang in there. :)

CraigDolphin

GrumpyOldMan in Training
Local time
No worries Bob. It's not a big deal; I was just a bit puzzled by it. :)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I'm with Craig on this , I keep getting 0 points from newish posters which is unfair on the poster!, the farce is that the criteria assumes that somebody who has been around along time or posted alot is asking more demanding questions, but it aint nescessarily so, and definitely does not nean less work.

Those of us who have been around any length of time no who the good guys, and gals, are, not that I'll be one:).

Please note that I'm not worried about my jelloes, I've retired after 43 years in dp/it, been there helped design the T-shirt, but I feel the system leaves alot to be desired.

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Just took a look at my CP, of the last 5 posts to my reputation 4 added 0, the one that did add a little was in a thread that I didn't solve but apparently pointed in generally the correct direction.

Is that fair to the other posters, is the system really a bit of a joke?

Brian

CraigDolphin

GrumpyOldMan in Training
Local time
Well, it's always nice to get a pat on the back and feel appreciated so it would probably be good if the rep thing added something even if the questioner was a 1st time poster at the time. But if not, it's no big deal. In time I'm sure I'll get another jello or two :) The challenge is to learn enough to help people who already know their A__ from their Elbow ;)

Oftimes the posters leave rep comments which are, themselves, a great form of appreciation. It makes up for the many times when you help folks and don't even get a response to your answer.

And of course, sometimes the enjoyment is in the satisfaction of solving the puzzle itself (at least for me). It keeps the brain from atrophying too much :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom