Creating Multiple Items in One Form (1 Viewer)

victoriarai77

Local time
Yesterday, 18:20
I know next to nothing about Access, so please forgive me.
I work in a research lab in which people from other departments can submit samples for testing. Many times, there are multiple samples of the same material requiring the same testing simultaneously- may differ by size or process, but each of these samples would be assigned a unique identification number individually. How can we use Access to allow users to not have to fill out only one form per sample, but rather multiple samples in one form, while still keeping the identifications separate?
Also, we know nothing about codes that go along with Access...but if that is the way to make this happen, we would be willing to try and understand it with the right guidance.
Again, I apologize for our very basic knowledge of Access, but a kind push in the right direction would be extremely appreciated. :confused:

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:20
Hi

Do you currently have an example of how you record this information?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:20
There are three types of form view.
Single - shows only one record at a time
Continuous - shows multiple records - as many as will fit on the screen. You scroll to see more.
DataSheet - similar to continuous but looks like a table view.

Although, most databases end up with some code, you can actually create fully functioning forms without ever writing a single line of code.

Start by defining what data you need to store. Then create the necessary tables. If you stop at this point and post what you have, we can help get the tables right before we move on to creating a form. When you are creating the tables and column names, pay attention to the construction of the names. Use ONLY the letters a-z, A-Z, numbers 0-9, and the underscore if you want a separator. Also be careful to avoid using reserved words. Words like Date, Time, Day, Name, etc. are "reserved". They have already been assigned by Access as the names of functions or properties. Since you aren't going to memorize the list of reserved words which is quite lengthy once you include the words used by Access, VBA, and SQL, the simplest solution is to make compound names. They will be more descriptive in any event. So rather than Date as the name of the sample date, use SampleDate. Then you can use TestedDate as the date the sample was tested. Also pay attention to data types. Relational database applications require precise definitions of data types and are much less flexible than something like Excel where you can put anything you want into any cell. If you define a field as a date, it MUST be a valid date (or null) in EVERY row. You can't just pop in N/A if a value isn't available.

Once the tables are defined correctly, we can get to the form for data entry. You can start with the wizard. Choose the continuous format and that will show multiple rows at once. I'm going to guess that what you really will end up with is two tables and your form will be a single record main form to define the set of samples and a continuous view subform to list the actual samples.

Once the wizard generates the form, you can open it in design view and move stuff around to make it pretty but don't get ahead of yourself. You'll just make more work for yourself. Tables first :)

victoriarai77

Local time
Yesterday, 18:20
Hi Pat, thank you so much for that helpful information. Once we get our table straightened out, I will send that along and we can go from there. Thanks again!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:20
You're welcome. Welcome aboard by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom