Go Back   Access World Forums > Non-Access Issues > Politics & Current Events

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-19-2019, 09:03 PM   #61
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,423 Times in 1,342 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold
Re: NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing -

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
But the math used by the gloom-and-doom crowd regarding global warming / global climate change simply DOES NOT PREDICT REALITY. The temperatures continue to diverge - downward - from the predictions made by those IPCC equations.
Myth. The models do quite well especially considering the complexity and the computation limitations of modelling such a big system in fine enough detail. They have been calibrated against geological records and are good enough to show we need to take urgent action.

Decades ago it was projected that the temperature of the planet would rise substantially. It has risen substantially and continues to do so. You say they are proven wrong because it hasn't risen precisely as projected.

Where are your models that show the temperature rises are due to normal cycles? You don't have them of course because "natural cycles" is nothing more than an unsubstantiated handwave by denialists.

All known natural cycles have been accounted for. We are reaching a solar minimum and temperatures are not falling. You simply refuse to accept any evidence as sufficient. You will make further excuses about "unknown factors" as we move into the 2020s and temperatures continue to rise.

You advocate wasting further time by continuing to burn fossil fuels as usual. And how do you suppose we turn around suddenly when it becomes completely undeniable that climate change is costing trillions and making much of the planet uninhabitable?

Truth is you are an old man and don't care to change because you won't be much affected. Please ensure your grand children know exactly where you stand on this issue so they will treat your memory with the deserved disdain.

Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:24 PM   #62
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to Uncle Gizmo

Greg, I understand there are strong feelings on this subject.

However I'm Aghast to see the personal direction your anger is taking you.

I have a lot of time for both you and Richard, I consider you both respected members of this forum, and I would hope both of you can continue your disagreement, and at the same time bring this respect to the fore.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
-------------oOo---U---oOo-------------
|                                     |
|      Uncle Gizmo              |
| Get $20 worth of "Nifty Code"       |
|      
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| | Ooo | |_________________ooO____( )________| ( ) ) / \ ( (_/ \_)
Uncle Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:24 AM   #63
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

I am becoming very impatient with the intransigence of some people. Particularly those who vote in complete ignorant bastards like Trump.

I have grandchildren and I can see what they will have to face because so little is being done. Their generation won't be kind to the memory of those who ruined their planet because of greed. They deserve to know who to blame.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:51 PM   #64
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough

I have been following this climate change Fiasco since it started. I have no idea what's causing it, and I'm convinced that no one else does either! Both sides wheel out this person, that person, this study or that study, and you all listen to it, but none of you actually do any research of your own. I have, I know how much all the percentage of increase in the total bulk of the atmosphere the supposedly increase in carbon dioxide is.

I know how many countries there are in the World, I looked at the percentages of carbon produced by each country, and I immediately knew there's no way on Earth you'll get ALL these countries to agree to reducing their carbon output!

So to both sides I would say, get your own facts, do your own reasoning, don't swallow all the bull....

I remember when butter was bad for you, and now it's good for you.

Sweeteners in diet drinks was supposed to be the next big thing, and now they have discovered that they have no effect on weight reduction, and are in fact quite poisonous.

I reckon I could list a dozen things if I put my mind to it, That was supposed to be good for you and then turned out to be bad for you and visa versa.. In fact, in the seventies the scientist believed we were moving into a new Ice Age!

Anyway what I'm really saying, is you are all getting lead by the nose, in whichever direction someone can lead you, and you are fighting your good friends and colleagues and you're not even arguing like gentlemen, but you are fighting and bitching at each other so as if you actually met each other you would kill each other!

And that's not right, and it's about time you saw that. That's the real problem, NOT global warming!
|      
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Gizmo For This Useful Post:
NauticalGent (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:21 AM   #65
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Gizmo View Post
In fact, in the seventies the scientist believed we were moving into a new Ice Age!
The vast majority of the carbon added to the atmosphere happened from the 90s.

Until the mid twentieth century the planet was on track to begin cooling into an ice age like it had done repeatedly on a 10,000 year cycle whose mode of influence is well understood.

The natural cycles denialists like to suggest as a reason for the warm period should be driving the temperature down but still it rises.

Your obvious lack of knowledge about such a simple aspect of the science shows you don't know near enough to "do your own research". It is you who is being led by the nose.
Old Yesterday, 03:29 AM   #66
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxiom View Post
Your obvious lack of knowledge about such a simple aspect of the science shows you don't know near enough to "do your own research". It is you who is being led by the nose.
Oh no, I am well aware of my lack of knowledge.

It is the lack of knowledge of everyone else that concerns me.

But the real concern for me is that there is no debate.

Again, here the direction of this thread becomes adveserial. So we end up in a situation where both sides are fighting.

That means both sides, both composed of intelligent, widely read knowledgeable individuals end up despising each other for no good reason.

Hence I sit on the fence, neither side convinces me, for a start neither side is willing to listen to the other, a thread like this just becomes a "mine's bigger than yours", I'd say game, but it's actually a war, and people are seriously thinking about actually hurting others!

What would happen if you listened?

First identify what you agree on.

Next what you don't agree on.

In the grey area in-between, pick out a nugget that is interesting, and develop that, argue about it, just as strongly as you do now, but from a position of respect for all.

Now, if you are reading this thinking:-

No that'll never work..
Or
How naÔve...
Or
This is stupid...

then that's normal.

But if you think, maybe.... Maybe I can learn something from the opposition, maybe I can work with someone with opposing views, then let me know and I'll find a suitable place to have such a useful, productive and rewarding discussion....

|      
Old Yesterday, 05:09 AM   #67
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Here's a list of nuggets:-

Tyres
Every vehicle has tyres, basically carbon that is ground in to a fine dust and released into the environment. Any study's on that ?

Vehicle waste heat.
Most vehicles are very inefficient.
Hence, what, 60% of the energy is directly transferred to the atmosphere. Any study's on that?

Renewables
The construction of solar panels / wind turbines generates more CO2 than the systems save. Any study's on that?

Politics
Scientific studies are funded by politically motivated organisations. Any study's on that?

Agricultural policies
Many countries encouraged the production of food crops after the second world war. Any study's on that?

Deforestation
Any study's on that?

Population increase
Any study's on that?

Industrial fishing
Any study's on that?

Battery at 15% be back later!

|      
Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM   #68
Steve R.
Retired

Steve R. will become famous soon enough Steve R. will become famous soon enough

This is a follow-up to Uncle Gizmo's posts. The way global warming is being disingenuously "sold" to the public is a scam. This is independent of any scientific findings, either pro or con, on this issue.

Newspeak: The most obvious and blatant example of obfuscation is changing the narrative from "global warming" to "climate change".

One Solution: Essentially the "global warming" crowd advocates only one approach to solving "global warming"; the control and management of carbon emissions. That is simplistic. The solving of environmental concerns will require addressing a whole host of concerns, such as increasing urbanization and the destruction of habitat. Who knows, single family homes, in the name of carbon control, may be deemed offensive as carbon "hogs". In the future they may be prohibited.

Zero-Cost Solutions: The "global warming" crowd avoids disclosing that complying with their mandates may adversely affect the standard of living. This is a "red flag" similar to changing the Newspeak narrative from "global warming" to "climate change". Carbon mandates, will mean more expensive products. It also may mean the non-availability of certain products. (The recent riots in France may be an indication that people do not want their standard of living reduced to comply with "global warming" objectives.)

Social Justice Concerns: HYPOTHETICAL for purposes of a simple (but incomplete) illustration to raise the concern. Suppose that the per capita carbon allocation is 100 units to maintain the Earth's temperature at its then current value. Those in the first world, such as the US and Europe may easily use 500 units of carbon. Those in the third world may only use 50 units. Obviously, those in the third world should not be denied an opportunity to improve their standard of living. Will that mean that those in the first world will need to reduce their carbon consumption so that those in the third world can have a better life? The "global warming" crowd to my knowledge has been quite on this.

Politicians Dream Issue: Promoting "global warming" is a politicians dream issue. It has easy public appeal and is in the future. They will be out of office before any repercussions occur and they will never be held accountable. They can distribute money, go to meetings, go to imposing public events with salivating crowds, and have grandiose appearances before the media. They will claim that this is a #1 issue that must be solved. They will claim to have the courage to solve it. But, when it gets to real world (now) problems, such as the current immigration crises, these politicians conveniently avoid taking any tough solution actions. This demonstrates that the politicians are only full of deceitful bluster before the media and really won't make the tough decisions when actually necessary.
Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM   #69
AccessBlaster

AccessBlaster will become famous soon enough AccessBlaster will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxiom View Post
I am becoming very impatient with the intransigence of some people. Particularly those who vote in complete ignorant bastards like Trump.

I have grandchildren and I can see what they will have to face because so little is being done. Their generation won't be kind to the memory of those who ruined their planet because of greed. They deserve to know who to blame.
Precisely why people cannot agree, oneside calls you names like ignorant while the other is expressing an opinion.

Comments like deplorable helped sink Hillaryís campaign.

AccessBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: