Update a field based on value from another table (1 Viewer)

doomik

Local time
Yesterday, 21:51
Hello all,

I need help with my form. I have a table called "Download_Log", where data received is logged into this table and assigned an identifier called "File_ID."

Once this file is QC'd, the user will go to a form called "Data_QC_Form", select the File_ID from a combo box based on a query that pulls all unique file ID's from the table "Download_Log", then enter data regarding the QC. There's some shared fields on this form (and underlying table) that I would want to automatically populate based on the file_id that the user selects from the combo box.

I have done this before but it has been soooo long ago, that I forgot how I did it, and I'm working with the most recent version of access, where as way back then I was working with 2003 access, so here I am asking for assistance and guidance.

Thank you for your time!:banghead:

doomik

Local time
Maybe "shared field" is a misnomer. What I mean to say is the table "Download_Log" and table "Data_QC" (the table that Data_QC_Form is based off of) have fields that are equal. So File_Name in the first table and File_Name in the second table should be equal, and I would like File_name in the second table (via the form that is used for data entry) to autopopulate based off of the selection made in the combo box linked to the first table.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 03:51
Normally you should only have data in one table unless it is a primary key in one table and a foreign key in another

Last edited:

doomik

Local time
I know that, but i'm not the only user of this database, so I have to take into account that others using this database may need to see the information (though it's redundant) to help with their data entry. The file id is a string of characters and numbers that are not easy to make sense of, so if additional fields are displayed then the user will be able to make more sense of what they are looking at. In short, these aren't my form specifications...I'm just building it.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
So use a query as the record source for the form(s) used for data entry.

Duplicating data is adding unnecessary complexity, increasing the size of your db and making it likely that discrepancies will occur at some point.

doomik

Local time
You are absolutely not helpful, and very condescending.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
That wasn't my intention but I'll withdraw and leave others to assist you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Yesterday, 19:51
I agree with ridders. I strongly advise against duplicating data in a second table. If you need to display existing data, write a query that reads from that data's authoritative source.

I also think you are mistaken about condescension. Obviously you felt that way, but I do not see where that was intended.

hth
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom