Prevent Table Linking / Identify databases linked (1 Viewer)

johnnyc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:14
there are many threads about Table Linking but i coud not find one that answers my specific questions.

1. Can i either prevent database from linking to my tables? (or give permissins )
2. If not, can i make the table read only when linking?
3. Is there a way to confirm what databases are linked to my tables?

Desperate!!

johnnyc

Registered User.
Local time
i have a table that has sensitive information but i also need if for other things if that answers your question.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:14
what you really need, I should think is

a) code to log users in to your system
b) code in each form to verify that a user IS logged in
c) code in the forms to manage what users can do

now, with access, it is still very hard to prevent users who are legitimately using the database from being able to access the tables themselves, and thereby circumvent the above. If security is that critical, I suspect that access as a back end is not your best choice.

johnnyc

Registered User.
Local time
Gemma, your comments have nothing to do with my initial question.

Please help guys!!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
It's not Gemma it's Dave.

Dave's answer to your question is about right because the way your question reads; is you have a security issue. That is what Dave's answer is addressing. If you do not have a security issue then please explain your problem. I reckon your current explanation is avoiding mentioning your real problem for some unknown reason.

johnnyc

Registered User.
Local time
These are the questions i have, not sure how else to explain. i have a table in a database (database is not used by end users) that has information in it that i do not want anyone to be able to link to to make changes. So i am looking for solutions.

1. Can i either prevent database from linking to my tables? (or give permissins )

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I think you could save it as encrypted.

johnnyc

Registered User.
Local time
that would make sense but then i couldnt link to them. i think i am just looking to confirm if my questions are possible and if so how. Not specifically a solution to my issue. From the answers i will hopefully derive my own conclusions

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Just to clarify.

In order to use a database, you need at least read privileges over the folder in which the back end lies. If you have read privileges then you can read the data, if you can see the tables.

Therefore if there is some data you do not want certain users to see, you need to manage the database to prevent that.

You may be able to prevent users seeing the tables directly. This is superficially easy, but often difficult to achieve with determined and knowledgeable users.

If so, then you can easily arrange that the forms do not disclose that data.if you cannot prevent users seeing the tables, then you need a different strategy.

One solution, as uncle gizmo suggested is to encrypt the data. Another is to organise the data so that the sensitive data is kept in a different folder so that certain users do not have access to that data.

And as uncle gizmo said, i did interpret the question as being related to general security issues, and an achievable solution is not a simple matter.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
that would make sense but then i couldnt link to them. i think i am just looking to confirm if my questions are possible and if so how. Not specifically a solution to my issue. From the answers i will hopefully derive my own conclusions

1. You can have a password.
2. If the folder is read only, the database will be read only. That won't make your data private, though.
In respect of these, a user legitimately connected to the backend will be able to read the data.
3. No. And not just databases. A knowledgeable user could use access, excel, or many other products to link to a database.

irish634

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:14
I agree with what Dave and Uncle Gizmo stated. They are solid ideas. You can only "lock down" Access so much, and even that isn't going to stop a knowledgeable, determined person.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I would add that MS Access isn't "Less secure" it's that people expect to be able to control security within MS Access.

MS Access on a "Work Network" is as secure as your Word, Excel and other files. So saying Access is not secure is doing it a disservice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom