Question Access 2000 command button not functioning (1 Viewer)

jreklau

Local time
Today, 15:13
So, I'm a moderate - advanced Access programmer. I've seen a lot of things, can work through or find a solution to just about any issue. This one I'm stumped on...

I have a frontend Access 2000 DB interface (C:\), connected to a backend that resides on a LAN. The system has 200 + users, and generally 30-40 users at any given time. Within the interface is a button, with very basic code (Docmd.OpenForm). Now 95% of the time the code runs without any problems, but the rest of the time, the button does not work. No error, no hourglass, nothing! I set a breakpoint to try to step into the code, but it doesn't work. The only thing that seems to work is clicking the button quickly many time until I see the hourglass...then in seconds, the form appears.

Does anyone have any suggestions / ideas?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 12:13
First of all, I am wondering, because of what you've stated, is this database SPLIT - Backend on network server and a COPY of the frontend on EACH user's machine?

If not, it should be that way for multi-user use. Otherwise you are at HIGH risk for corruption and that may be what you have. You should not have multiple users opening the same database file. Access is very picky and if someone is in there when a network disruption occurs (lost packet, etc.) then corruption is almost certain.

jreklau

Local time
Yes, the application is split.

jreklau

Local time
Yes, a copy of the frontend is on each user's computer. There's even a version control VB app that ensures each user has the same version of the frontend.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 12:13
Yes, a copy of the frontend is on each user's computer. There's even a version control VB app that ensures each user has the same version of the frontend.

Just had to check first.

When you open the form in design view and click on the button and then go to its event. Is [Event Procedure] actually there? I've had it where it disappears for some reason and you have to "reconnect it" to the code by selecting it from the drop down again.

jreklau

Local time
Yes, I've had the same issue, in fact I think it is the first thing I have checked. I also made sure the project would "compile" as I've had similar issues with button not working if the project code wouldn't compile, even when the event was located on a completely different form / module.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom