Immigration (1 Viewer)

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
Today, 02:04
I received the latest issue of Time magazine and the main article is on the immigration issue. Although I haven't had time to read it yet I did skim through and look at some of the polls that they had. I find it quite baffling that the vast majority of Americans feel that we have a serious problem with immigration right now, but the majority of Americans also feel that temporary visas and the guest program is a good thing. Am I missing something or is the general public completely misinformed? From what I can tell I don't see any good coming from the guest program. :confused:

I guess this may not be any different than a typical poll during election time when half the results seem to contradict each other. Goes to show you just how reliable they are. :rolleyes:

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:04
NJudson said:
Am I missing something or is the general public completely misinformed?
Call me a cynic, but I'd say the general public being mis/uninformed is pretty much the rule of thumb.

So here's a thought. I pretty much agree with everyone's thoughts on illegal immigration at this point, but it occurred to me ... how might an illegal immigrant respond to the statements we've made? Might an illegal immigrant say something like, "I really don't know about economics, all I know is I can barely feed my family and the hospital is the last place I want to go if I get sick. I didn't choose where I was born or what language I learned. It's not my fault that my homeland can't provide for the basic needs of its people. Why should I have to wait years and learn a new language for someone to say my family is allowed to eat and get medicine?"

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a bleeding-heart (to quote South Park) "aging, liberal, hippie, douche" and I agree that illegal immigration is a big problem that needs to be dealt with in a practical way. I also think it's easy, though, to pass judgement and say how we'd behaive differently were we to immigrate when we really have no idea what it's like to be in their shoes.

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Kraj said:
Call me a cynic, but I'd say the general public being mis/uninformed is pretty much the rule of thumb..

Not cynical ....realistic

Kraj said:
Might an illegal immigrant say something like, "I really don't know about economics, all I know is I can barely feed my family and the hospital is the last place I want to go if I get sick. I didn't choose where I was born or what language I learned. It's not my fault that my homeland can't provide for the basic needs of its people. Why should I have to wait years and learn a new language for someone to say my family is allowed to eat and get medicine?"

Kraj not directed at you in any way just a possible response if I was asked to respond to the statement above from any immigrant

So why should I, who have contributed to various schemes in my country pay for you and your families keep when you are not prepared to even learn the language and accept the culture. After all it appears the culture you have come from has not done you any favours. Sounds as if you want my cake as well as your own. What are you prepared to do to feed yourself and your family ?.

Len.

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Len Boorman said:
Kraj not directed at you in any way just a possible response if I was asked to respond to the statement above from any immigrant.
Are we roleplaying now? Selena will be jealous. ;)

selenau837

Can still see y'all......
Local time
Kraj said:
Are we roleplaying now? Selena will be jealous. ;)

Jealous of who, what, when, where. ;) Umm, no Kraj's mine so back off. *pfft, pfftt, hiss hiss* :eek: :D

I don't mind her learning a language, but my problem is they are only teaching that one. Why not German, French, etc?

I just hate losing jobs because I didn't speak spanish. Being Bilingual is almost a requirment now becuase people are coming here and REFUSING to learn English. Therefore we have to change our packaging, advertising, phone systems, ATM's, EVERYTHING, to include spanish. That is simply my Gripe. Before long the language of America will be Spanish, no longer Americanised English.

selenau837

Local time
Len Boorman said:
Ahhhhhhhhh That explains a lot :D :D :D

L

That's what Col keeps telling me I speak. He is trying to teach me the Queens English. :D

R

Rich

selenau837 said:
That's what Col keeps telling me I speak. He is trying to teach me the Queens English. :D
Well he's starting to have a positive influence, "ised" is part of the British language and is of course the correct spelling of said suffix:cool:

selenau837

Local time
Rich said:
Well he's starting to have a positive influence, "ised" is part of the British language and is of course the correct spelling of said suffix:cool:

Well, didn't I spell it correctly? *dumb blonde look*

Back to the subject at hand.

I almost wish schools would teach sign language as a second language. There really is a need for hearing impaired interpreters. I think that should be a choice. Allow the kids to choose which one they want to learn, not force one language on them.

I personally enjoyed taking french. My heritage is Cajiun. My grandfathers parents spoke french. He knew it but didn't pass it down to his children. :(

I can't say I know any of it anymore other than maybe this. I can say it, but not sure if I am spelling it correctly anymore. Je n' parle pa Francises! I can't speak french. At least that is what I am hoping it spells.

I have no problem with immigrants as long as they are legal and assimilate to our culture and language and not try and force us to learn their languge and assimilate us to their ways of life. Keep your culture when you come here, but if you are going to be American, be American.

R

Rich

selenau837 said:

I have no problem with immigrants as long as they are legal and assimilate to our culture and language and not try and force us to learn their languge and assimilate us to their ways of life. Keep your culture when you come here, but if you are going to be American, be American.

Define what American is, because if I'm not mistaken your country lays great claim on the fact that it's a multicultural society.
As far as not speaking the language you should try visiting the middle of Wales, not only do they make their dislike of the English well known they also talk about you in a foreign language, oddly enough officialdom over here wants to promote the Welsh language, I've no bloody intention of learning it:mad:

Those who profit from the illegal immigrants would be the one to first suffer the loss, but eventually it would benefit the overall society. Once those jobs are filled with citizens of this country, the unemployment rate would drop and tax revenue would increase. Sounds like a win win situation.

This is a myth, there are appr. 1,000,000 unemployed in this country, the government despite its best efforts cannot fill those low paid jobs from the unemployed, they either simply wont take the jobs or don't have the skills required. Only immigrants from poorer areas of the world will take them, I suspect your country is no different.

As far as denying illegals basic health care, food etc., would you want to see them dying on the streets for lack of the above, I wouldn't
As for writing and complaining, who in any power is going to listen. politicians, I don't think so, they've always had their own agenda and always will.

We are but pawns in a system dominated by big business.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
We are but pawns in a system dominated by big business.

Finally...you have retired your rhetoric and spoken true wisdom..

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm going to report from Lou Dobbs (CNN - you can see transcripts at www.cnn.com/lou) again today. I can't take credit for this report but I did send him an email two weeks ago suggesting it:)

The average farm worker earns $9,570 per year.
The average american family spends $370 on fresh fruits and veggies per year. Of that, $65 goes to the farmer and the rest goes to distribution, wholesalers, and retailers. Of the $65, $22 goes to farm worker wages.
The cost of raising the wages of farm workers by 40% is only $10 per family per year. So, we essentially are being fed a bunch of bull regarding the true savings of using illegal alien labor.

For any of you who never worked on a local farm as a child during the summer to earn money, it is brutal, backbreaking work.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
selenau837 said:
I don't mind her learning a language, but my problem is they are only teaching that one. Why not German, French, etc?

Spanish is I believe the 2nd or 3rd most spoken language on the planet. If you can speak Spanish you have immediate rapport with many countries and people. German and French are very restricted in their geographical area (comparatively) - obviously the Frogs would like everyone to speak French and are well pi**ed off because English is the "international" language.

I learned Spanish because I spend some time each year in the non-English speaking parts of Spain, I'm not good at it but I get by and people appreciate you trying rather than shouting at them in English.

I just hate losing jobs because I didn't speak spanish.
There are many good teach yourself cassettes or CD's you can shove in the car stereo and learn a little each day as you drive to work.

Being Bilingual is almost a requirment now
Yes, when I go to Devon or Cornwall I have to speak a different language. They're a weird lot:D ;)
Therefore we have to change our packaging, advertising, phone systems, ATM's, EVERYTHING, to include spanish.
I don't see why that is a problem. Many of our official leaflets include various Indian / European dialects. The ATM's in Europe have many languages to chose from.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Rich said:
Define what American is,
Isn't a true American being a descendant of the original indiginous people?:confused:

Col

R

Rich

ColinEssex said:
Yes, when I go to Devon or Cornwall I have to speak a different language. They're a weird lot:D ;)

Col

It's language and culture are Celtic in origin, unlike the Cockaknee tribe whos language and culture are derived from the black hackneys :cool:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Rich said:
It's language and culture are Celtic in origin, unlike the Cockaknee tribe whos language and culture are derived from the black hackneys :cool:
You'd think that coming from Bristol (city) I'd understand these Devon folk and their cute little ways:D

Col

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
I heard on the news today that the IPCC (Independant Police Complaints Commission) are starting an advertising campaign to encourage people to make complaints about the police.

Nearly forgot. It is being directed specifically at the Asian community somewhere or other (forgot) because there is a tight knit Asian Community there.

So as an original Ango Saxon is this not a clear case of discrimination against me.

Could say more but do not want to a) offend b) get arrested c) thrown off forum

Len

selenau837

Local time
ColinEssex said:
Spanish is I believe the 2nd or 3rd most spoken language on the planet. If you can speak Spanish you have immediate rapport with many countries and people. German and French are very restricted in their geographical area (comparatively) - obviously the Frogs would like everyone to speak French and are well pi**ed off because English is the "international" language.
Yeah, yeah I know, but that isn't the point.

I learned Spanish because I spend some time each year in the non-English speaking parts of Spain, I'm not good at it but I get by and people appreciate you trying rather than shouting at them in English.
See you learned THEIR language so you can speak with them. They didn't learn your so they could speak with YOU. That is my point exactly. You did what YOU had to do to fit in with THEIR country. That is what I wish others would do here. Learn the language of the country they are going too.

There are many good teach yourself cassettes or CD's you can shove in the car stereo and learn a little each day as you drive to work.
Nope, not gonna do it. I do know pig latin though. :D :p

I don't see why that is a problem. Many of our official leaflets include various Indian / European dialects. The ATM's in Europe have many languages to chose from.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

R

Rich

Len Boorman said:
I heard on the news today that the IPCC (Independant Police Complaints Commission) are starting an advertising campaign to encourage people to make complaints about the police.

Nearly forgot. It is being directed specifically at the Asian community somewhere or other (forgot) because there is a tight knit Asian Community there.

So as an original Ango Saxon is this not a clear case of discrimination against me.

Could say more but do not want to a) offend b) get arrested c) thrown off forum

Len

Part of the price we have to pay for our colonial past I'm afraid, I'm not bothered by immigrants, legal or illegal, I just wish they'd leave some of their unsavory customs behind when they come here:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom