Immigration (1 Viewer)

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
Today, 14:41
Has anyone been following any of this immigration stuff lately? Last weekend there was hundreds of thousands of people marching in L.A. and other various cities. I know we've talked about immigration on the forum before, but what is your take on what is happening now? Since I have not followed it much I really don't have a lot to contribute, but I thought that it was a bit silly that the government was proposing walling off parts of the U.S.-Mexico border. Does anyone honestly think that would stop most Mexicans from crossing over illegally? You've all heard the saying, "Where there's a will, there's a way." And I don't think a wall will stop many people from crossing.

R

Rich

selenau837 said:
As well as they can run infront of the trucks carrying loads of immigrants. :eek:
How many immigrants can a deer carry then?:confused:

R

Rich

selenau837 said:
Well, since deer cause so many traffic accidents, I perhaps should have used the word 'Dart' in front of instead of 'Run'. That may have made my jest a bit clearer.
Thanks for allowing me to clarify that a bit more Rich!:p

Do these poor unfortunate deer survive these careless accidents?

selenau837

Can still see y'all......
Local time
Rich said:
Do these poor unfortunate deer survive these careless accidents?

Somestimes yes, and sometimes no. Sadly to say, however the outcome is always usually the same. The automobile is badly wrecked and damaged, and unable to continue driving for some time.

R

Rich

selenau837 said:
Somestimes yes, and sometimes no. Sadly to say, however the outcome is always usually the same. The automobile is badly wrecked and damaged, and unable to continue driving for some time.

Well we've had our doubts about the quality of the materials used in your autos, do you think they could be strengthened to be like real autos ?

R

Rich

selenau837 said:
Even Honda's and Toyota get totaled deary. Besides Ford and Chevy are great American Cars.

Yes, they do say you're never bored with a Ford:rolleyes:

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
So let's see just where this thread went.

Immigration > walls > land mines > deer > accidents > automobiles > deer

This thread was doomed to be hijacked right from the start. :rolleyes:

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Today, 13:41
NJudson said:
So let's see just where this thread went.

Immigration > walls > land mines > deer > accidents > automobiles > deer

This thread was doomed to be hijacked right from the start. :rolleyes:

And it all happened on the first page. :eek:

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Today, 13:41
I guess I should follow that up with a statement that I don't really know enough about the immigration problem to know what to say here. I mean, I think that if people want to come here to live and work that is fine, but they need to do it legally IMHO. Of course, I don't know what hurdles they may have to overcome in order to do so. I also don't know what the "right" answer is as far as keeping the illegals out.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
This thread is just down right silly.

Unfortunately illegal immigration is not.

This problem crosses both parties and is not being considered wisely by either.

Fact; the economy of the United States is dependent on cheap labor.

Fact; the ancillary cost to obtain this labor is being absorbed by the middle class.

Fact; there are too many wealthy and connected Americans making huge profits on the backs of illegal immigrants to warrant any significant changes to the system.

The current administration in an attempt to mask its massive failings in foreign policy, has brought this to the forefront of American debate. What you’re not hearing is that the way to make this problem disappear is to put the responsibility on the companies that hire them.

The problem could be solved by making it completely legal to work here no mater what the circumstances. Then apply a tax to both the company and the worker to pay for education and medical expenses. The permit to work should be temporary, would require renewal, and would be administered by employees paid by the tax.

This system would effect the economy in two major aspects: 1. It would level the playing field for American workers and 2. It would put the bourdon of supporting this system on the people that benefit most.

The tax should be stiff enough to make hiring citizens more attractive and at the same time provide English classes and medical expenses for the immigrant workers.

America has too long ignored the plight of its working poor and is now creating a permanent underclass too poor and too ignorant to have any chance of bettering themselves, even in multi -generational families. Unlike what the republicans would have you believe, it is not in our best interest to create this permanent servitude. One of the most paramount ethoses of American life, and one of the most ardent factors in American success, has been that hard working people come here, save money and get their children a better education, so they can contribute to the overall welfare of the nation.

This model has been virtually destroyed by this unprecedented wave of illegal immigration. So the very people coming here to better themselves are contributing to the creation of a system that will enslave them.

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
1. The Republicans want cheap foreign labor either in the guise of illegal immigration or by the use of H1b visas because they're completely in the pocket of big business who are only interested in driving down labor costs - but they don't want amnesty - see why below.

2. The Democrats want illegal aliens (they don't care about H1b visas except as they help their big business sponsors) and more disastrously, they want amnesty because traditionally, new immigrants have voted democratic.

3. The Catholic Church wants the current illegal immigrants because they come from largely Catholic countries and they represent new church membership.

4. The Chamber of Commerce wants cheap foreign labor either illegal or legal (H1b visas) because even small businesses want to drive down labor costs.

5. The labor unions want the illegal immigrants because of declining membership. They understand how the illegals are being exploited and think that they can organize them.

The common justification is that the illegals only take jobs that citizens won’t do. That of course is bullshit. Who used to wash dishes? Who used to mow lawns? Who used to make beds in hotels? Who used to pick lettuce. Once these jobs stopped paying a reasonable wage, citizens could no longer take them. Citizens expect to be able to buy food, pay rent, and even raise a family. That is the American way. They are not interested in living in communal dwellings and sending all their money to their home country.

So where does that leave John Q Public? Screwed - that's where.

I believe that more legal immigrants would come out against illegal immigration if their leaders explained to them the detrimental effect that illegals have on the economy. Caesar Chavez railed against illegal immigration as he was trying to organize farm labor. He understood how illegal immigrants undermined the wage base at the lowest levels. But again we have a conflict of interest. The leaders want to lead a larger group rather than a smaller group, so they want the illegals. That means that they play the race card and instill fear in their followers. Of course if the legal immigrants from south of our border ever bothered to learn English, they would be able to make informed decisions by reading and watching the general news rather than news in Spanish directed just at them.

We certainly can’t send 20 million people home tomorrow or even 11 million depending on whose statistics you believe. We can fine companies who hire illegal labor. We can make it more expensive for companies to break the law than to hire citizens. We can secure our border and we don’t need a wall to do that. A wall sends a bad message and I am absolutely against it. Somehow the Soviets managed to secure their borders with a lot less technology than we have available. We simply need the will to do it. We can change our law conferring citizenship on anyone born in the US. A simple change saying that the mother must be in the country legally will do. Any kind of visa will do, even a transit visa. We can put more pressure on Mexico to stop the northern migration. If the thousands of people who protested this weekend to convince our congress to let them come by the millions illegally and stay here simply went home and staged the same protests in their home countries, maybe they could have some impact on fixing the reasons that they feel they need to leave in the first place. Whatever sympathy I had for their plight took flight with their waving flags. If they want to be Mexicans let them stay home! How dare they waive Mexican flags in a demonstration designed to let them stay in America!!!!! If you want to be a Mexican, waive a Mexican flag. If you want to be an American, waive an American flag.

I have always been offended by the hyphenated-American people. I don’t care what your country of origin is, you are an American or you are not. OK, on St. Patrick’s day, you can be Irish but then everyone is because they like green beer and corned beef and cabbage. Just like we’re all Italians on Columbus day and Mexicans on Cinco d’Mayo at least in bars. We have no room for divided allegiance. You don’t need to forget your roots, you just need to live in the present. This is a letter from Teddy Roosevelt to the American Defense Society 10 years after he left office.
"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...
There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
--Theodore Roosevelt, 1919

PS, I also hate the way threads get hijacked by silly one-liners. If anyone wants me to delete the meaningless contributions to this thread, let me know.

R

Rich

Pat Hartman said:
PS, I also hate the way threads get hijacked by silly one-liners. If anyone wants me to delete the meaningless contributions to this thread, let me know.
I thought your country championed free speech, sounds like it's only applicable when it suits! :mad:

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
Pat and JSanders, I like the statements you've made. Have you two read anything specific that you've based the information on because I'd like to check this out and learn a little more for myself.

selenau837

Can still see y'all......
Local time
Pat Hartman said:

No, you are very well spoken. If anyone should delete their contributions it should be mine, since they were silly. I was just trying to keep it light since all that anyone does is bicker. My apologies Pat, truely sorry!

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
selenau837 said:
No, you are very well spoken. If anyone should delete their contributions it should be mine, since they were silly. I was just trying to keep it light since all that anyone does is bicker. My apologies Pat, truely sorry!

this is the politcal room we are allowed to argue here

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:41
Great post, Pat. Personally I'd love the off-topic one liners deleted. I rarely contribute to this forum, mainly because it seems you can't have a serious discussion of an issue here without it devolving into meaningless babble.

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:41
pbaldy said:
Great post, Pat. Personally I'd love the off-topic one liners deleted. I rarely contribute to this forum, mainly because it seems you can't have a serious discussion of an issue here without it devolving into meaningless babble.
I whole-heartedly agree. In the 'Cooler, there's nothing wrong with hijacked threads, off-topic comments, and other silliness; but the politics forum was created for the express purpose of giving people a place to hold serious and earnest discussions. Forcing threads to stay on topic would never be detrimental to that purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom