Can't extract data (1 Viewer)

elsieduke

Local time
Today, 02:16
I created some tables in my database some days ago, I worked with it till today. Some hours ago, I've opened my .mdb and I got...Cannot open database 'Dan3.mdb'. I applied Compact&Repair function, but it didn't aid. I've no idea how to extract data from table. I am on MS Access 2010.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 08:16
Sounds very much like corruption & unfortunately compact & repair will have no effect on that. However all MAY not be lost.

Try each of these in turn ...

1. Do you have a backup that you can open?
2. Make at least 2 backup copies of your database for you to attempt repairs
3. Can you open the tables from another database?
4. Try DECOMPILING a copy of the database.
See http://www.fmsinc.com/microsoftaccess/performance/decompile.asp
This is VERY quick and almost always fixes issues
If it opens successfully, RECOMPILE the code in the VBE and then compact
5. If it still fails, create a new blank database and import all database objects to that. That also won't take long
If it opens successfully, COMPILE the code in the VBE and then compact

If you now have a working database, bin the previous backups as they were 'duff'
Now make another new BACKUP of the working db
From now on, make regular backups

Check your database options - if Compact on Close is ticked, UNTICK it as that can cause corruption.

If still no good, there are a few more things to try .....

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:16
I've no idea how to extract data from table.

If you are still having no progress, one last hope is to create a new, blank database. Then look for the External Data tab. On that ribbon there is an Access icon for getting data from another DB file. It is the same icon you would start with if you were doing a link between FE and BE files. Here, try to IMPORT data from the damaged DB file to your new database. You will get the option (if this works at all) to import either the structure (only) or structure and data. Obviously, pick "... and data."

If that fails, then I have no other solutions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom