Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Theory and practice of database design

Old 10-19-2018, 03:48 AM   #16
JJSHEP89
Newly Registered User

JJSHEP89 is on a distinguished road
Re: optimizing DB w/ access front end & MySQL backend

would the VBA code run to compile a complete SQL statement then send it to the server or does it send a portion of the sql, stop to execute the vba function, then send the rest of the sql? so essentially the server is tied up the whole time waiting for the vba to execute?

JJSHEP89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:54 AM   #17
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,583 Posts
Minty has a spectacular aura about Minty has a spectacular aura about Minty has a spectacular aura about

What Pat is saying is that SQL Server will return the entire unfiltered dataset to allow Access (via VBA) to perform the function locally.

Think of it like you holding a coin you need to compare to a big bunch of coins in a bank. Normally you'd send the description to the bank they'd use their clever coin sorting machine to find a match. However the coin you have also has an infrared ink mark on it that you also need to match , and the bank don't have the infra red glasses.

So they send you all the coins to look though yourself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Minty is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minty For This Useful Post:
JJSHEP89 (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 03:59 AM   #18
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,434 Times in 3,325 Posts
CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice

like that analogy

CJ_London is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:00 AM   #19
JJSHEP89
Newly Registered User

JJSHEP89 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minty View Post
What Pat is saying is that SQL Server will return the entire unfiltered dataset to allow Access (via VBA) to perform the function locally.

Think of it like you holding a coin you need to compare to a big bunch of coins in a bank. Normally you'd send the description to the bank they'd use their clever coin sorting machine to find a match. However the coin you have also has an infrared ink mark on it that you also need to match , and the bank don't have the infra red glasses.

So they send you all the coins to look though yourself.
awesome example, i can only laugh at the thought of what this would look like... definitely helps me to understand what is actually happening.

So in order to avoid getting truckloads of coins dumped on me, the best course of action would be to execute my VBA and assign the resulting SQL statement to a string variable, then send the full SQL string to the server, correct? or is there a better way of doing it?
JJSHEP89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:45 AM   #20
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,583 Posts
Minty has a spectacular aura about Minty has a spectacular aura about Minty has a spectacular aura about

The ODBC drivers involved generally do a very good job of all of this.
So any already saved query will be "translated" into optimised T-SQL without you needing to do a lot.

The only time you really need to think clever is if you do Access side VBA functions, or have local tables joining to linked tables. There are some easyish fixes though.

VBA functions, I have one that gets exchange rates for instance from our Accounts package, and displays the current Sterling equivalent value, I simply rewrote the function into the SQL server, and I apply it there in a saved SQL view that I use as source for my form.

All the heavy lifting is done remotely on the server, I simply display the results in access.

This does mean learning T-SQL (for SQL server) but trust me it's not that hard if you understand Access SQL.

Minty is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minty For This Useful Post:
JJSHEP89 (10-22-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 07:56 AM   #21
Pat Hartman
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,440 Times in 1,372 Posts
Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all

Clever analogy Minty.

Saved querydefs (even those that reference form variables) are compiled the first time they are executed and the execution plan is saved. Then every time the query runs, that same execution plan is used. When you send queries to the server, whether they originate as querydefs or SQL strings, there is no ability to pre-compile them. The server creates the execution plan on the fly each time. The only way to get around this is to use views. Views are updateable as long as a plain query would be updateable. So make sure you include all the PK's in the selection list because if you are not careful, you can make the view not updateable.

I always used querydefs for all queries unless I actually need to build the SQL String on the fly as I might for a complex search form. So, even though the query is going to be sent to the server where an execution plan will be built on the fly, there is some processing already decided on so Access has to do slightly less work for each execution.

This used to be more problematic in the early days of Access. Using embedded SQL used to cause extreme bloat because Access couldn't clean up after itself without a compact. Access has gotten more efficient in this area and so although there is a very slight time difference, it is no longer imperative to always use querydefs for efficiency. I use querydefs because they are easier to change, plus they are reusable. embedded SQL is what it is and if you have to modify something, you have to modify it in every separate SQL string.

JJSHEP89 (10-22-2018)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: