Logging when someone accesses a linked table (1 Viewer)

Antilles

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:37
I don't know whether this is possible -

We have an Access 97 database. A number of other Access 97 databases link to this main database via linked tables.

Is there any way to track when another database accesses data in the main database (via the linked table)? Ideally I'd like to be able to record this somewhere to analyse who is making use of the data.

Darth Vodka

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:37
you can see what *users* are connected to a database using the ADODB.connection (in Access 2000)

you can run a timer event in an open db and create a log of who is in

Antilles

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:37
We've already got something in the system for logging users, using the hidden form method you mentioned.

The problem is when people connect to the database through linked tables - we'd like to be able to audit this if possible.
Problem with the ADODB method is that Access 97 doesn't support this (as far as I'm aware) and I can't see any equivalent way to do is using DAO.

Darth Vodka

Registered User.
Local time
We've already got something in the system for logging users, using the hidden form method you mentioned.

The problem is when people connect to the database through linked tables - we'd like to be able to audit this if possible.
Problem with the ADODB method is that Access 97 doesn't support this (as far as I'm aware) and I can't see any equivalent way to do is using DAO.

if you want ADODB, use 2000 and point it at a 97 database in the code when you set up the connection object...(got code if you want)

i cant think of a way of definitely tracking the back end (possible in SQL server though!)

all i can think of is logging access to the front ends and recording when user click the buttons etc

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
you can use security to protect the linked tables, and stop anyone opening/using the dbs "unofficially", as it were, I should think

If you want to record who runs particular legitimate processes on the database, I think you would have to roll your own routines to log this info in a table somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom