Go Back   Access World Forums > Non-Access Issues > Politics & Current Events

Old 12-02-2019, 09:00 PM   #16
Micron
AWF VIP

Micron has a spectacular aura about Micron has a spectacular aura about
Re: Social Media Platforms and Campaign Ads

AFAIC, those platforms are businesses that don't have the same entrenched value under your Constitution, i.e. they are not "the press" and free speech doesn't apply if they don't want it to. You're free to say whatever on any soapbox that you have the right to stand on, but you don't have the right to do so on anyone else's soapbox. To me, it's obvious that they'd rather not allow the light to shine on their operations because it's preferable to police yourself than have the government step in to do it for you. None of this would be necessary if there weren't so many people who would believe everything that they read or heard, no matter how absurd it really is. The crap that often comes my way in emails from some US relatives just makes me shake my head. These people are supposed to be educated.

The extreme is when some bozo from Texas takes a gun to a New York pizzeria to free the children imprisoned in the basement by Hillary Clinton. Then it's time to do something because he's proof that there's too many who are too naive for their own good - and that of the country as a whole.

Old 12-02-2019, 11:15 PM   #17
vba_php
Software Engineer

vba_php is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micron View Post
AFAIC,
I finally looked this damn thing up after wondering for decades what it meant: https://www.internetslang.com/AFAIC-...definition.asp
Old 12-03-2019, 05:04 AM   #18
Steve R.
Retired

Steve R. will become famous soon enough Steve R. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vba_php View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R. View Post
Recently Mike Zukerberg
Oops. Thanks for pointing it out. Fixed.

Quote:
nobody can fact check an idiot politician's promises! there are way too many people and organizations involved with any process that is connected to a promise from a candidate. the candidate's job is to promise anything and everything that will earn the most votes. what else is there to know than that!? and they do their job damn well! each and every one of them...
Good commentary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
Shady back-room deals? OK, this is harder because there are accusations and counter-claims flying left and right on this one, but the story goes that Biden offered a big cash bribe to the Ukraine president to fire the prosecutor who was investigating his son. So when DJT asked for an investigation and put some "skin" in the game with the defense deal, the shady back-room dealers demanded impeachment.

The problem with modern politicians is that they have no spine. People can demand anything they want and get promises for it, but when the money runs out, the voters are left with double disappointment - no money and no results.
Doc's post reminded me that modern technology, through the use of video recordings, allows the media to go back in time and examine everything that a politician has previously stated. So when a politician makes new promises, his/her prior public comments can be examined and compared to what they are currently advocating.

Elizabeth Warren, through various videos and DNA analysis has been exposed as "stretching" the truth.

Last edited by Steve R.; 12-03-2019 at 05:24 AM.
Steve R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:13 AM   #19
vba_php
Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R. View Post
Elizabeth Warren, through various videos and DNA analysis has been exposed as "stretching" the truth.
there are some serious things wrong with that woman.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:32 AM   #20
Steve R.
Retired

Bloomberg News Suspends Editorial Board Following Michael Bloomberg’s Presidential Campaign Launch

Quote:
“We will continue our tradition of not investigating Mike (or his family and foundation), and we will extend the same policy to his rivals in the Democratic primaries,” Micklethwait goes on to say. “If other credible journalistic institutions publish investigative or the other Democratic candidates, we will either publish those articles in full or summarize them for our readers.”

As for Donald Trump, Micklethwait says that it will continue to investigate the president’s administration and will only “reassess” its coverage if Bloomberg ends up becoming the Democratic nominee and goes on to face Trump. As a general rule, Micklethwait says Bloomberg News will follow the same standards it did when its owner ran for mayor: report but do not investigate. That rule has also been in effect with regards to Bloomberg News’ main competitors, Reuters and CNBC.

In other words Bloomberg won't use his extensive media power to question the veracity of Democrats, but will continue to actively look for "dirt" on Trump.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:52 AM   #21
Micron
AWF VIP

Quote:
I finally looked this damn thing up after wondering for decades what it meant: https://www.internetslang.com/AFAIC-...definition.asp
I would say PMFJI, but I've already been here. AFAIK, and IIRC you like shortcuts in text (AKA acronyms) so TMTM?
Old 12-03-2019, 12:13 PM   #22
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.
Mark_ will become famous soon enough Mark_ will become famous soon enough

Course the reason you've not explained AFAIK is TANSTAAFL. He'd best learn to do for himself rather than expecting other's to provide! :-)

Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:31 PM   #23
vba_php
Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micron View Post
I would say PMFJI, but I've already been here. AFAIK, and IIRC you like shortcuts in text (AKA acronyms) so TMTM?
.................................................. .................................................. .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_ View Post
Course the reason you've not explained AFAIK is TANSTAAFL. He'd best learn to do for himself rather than expecting other's to provide! :-)
pretty soon everyone's posts here are going to look like this:
Quote:
Old 12-03-2019, 04:09 PM   #24
Micron
AWF VIP

TANSTAAFL is one I haven't seen before.

If it were dollars, that would be a pretty big number that Adam posted. I would be OK to win 1/100,000 of it.
Micron is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Micron For This Useful Post:
vba_php (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 05:04 PM   #25
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.
Mark_ will become famous soon enough Mark_ will become famous soon enough

Micron,

Not familiar with "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress"?

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch
Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:17 PM   #26
Micron
AWF VIP

I know, I Googled it before posting. Should have said so. SAT.
Micron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:18 PM   #27
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,702 Times in 1,575 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Actually, Mark, that phrase, abbreviated in that way, pre-dates The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress by at least 30 years. Also TINSTAAFL, "There IS no such..." You can look it up on Wikipedia. Heinlein was a good writer, though. He would have grown up in an era where that was used commonly.

Sadly, my collection of his work was in a particle-board bookshelf downstairs when Katrina flooded my house and kept everything soaking wet for 3 weeks. The party-board dissolved and my books - including over 1000 titles of loose sheet music, several collections, and at least two dozen hard-to-replace "fake" books - got soaked to the point of being useless. Some of the books were SO far out of print as to be totally irreplaceable, and one of my favorites was one my uncle gave to me when I was still learning keyboards. Definitely a bummer.

If I had known we would get that level of flooding, I would have moved the collections upstairs, but I had limited time to take action. We were going to Texas and had a ton of preparations to complete.

I also lost the Foundation double-trilogy, some good Arthur C Clarke, and some Poul Anderson. Plus a collection I had been accumulating from The Science-Fiction Book Club, which would ship a hardcover anthology or a small selection of single books once a month. I must have lost 50-75 really good titles.

Sorry, thinking about Heinlein caused me to digress a bit.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:41 PM   #28
Steve R.
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
Actually, Mark, that phrase, abbreviated in that way, pre-dates The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress by at least 30 years. Also TINSTAAFL, "There IS no such..." You can look it up on Wikipedia. Heinlein was a good writer, though. He would have grown up in an era where that was used commonly.

Sadly, my collection of his work was in a particle-board bookshelf downstairs when Katrina flooded my house and kept everything soaking wet for 3 weeks. The party-board dissolved and my books - including over 1000 titles of loose sheet music, several collections, and at least two dozen hard-to-replace "fake" books - got soaked to the point of being useless. Some of the books were SO far out of print as to be totally irreplaceable, and one of my favorites was one my uncle gave to me when I was still learning keyboards. Definitely a bummer.

If I had known we would get that level of flooding, I would have moved the collections upstairs, but I had limited time to take action. We were going to Texas and had a ton of preparations to complete.

I also lost the Foundation double-trilogy, some good Arthur C Clarke, and some Poul Anderson. Plus a collection I had been accumulating from The Science-Fiction Book Club, which would ship a hardcover anthology or a small selection of single books once a month. I must have lost 50-75 really good titles.

Sorry, thinking about Heinlein caused me to digress a bit.
Sorry to hear of your loss. Sounds like you have been reading some of same authors that I have. So far, my collection has survived my numerous moves and the children. I hope that you will be able to re-create your collection.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: