Need to first define the problem (1 Viewer)

atejani

Local time
Today, 06:37
Hello,

We are a charitable organization called WIPAHS here in Tanzania (Africa) looking after the needs of marginalized communities. Currently we use excel VLOOKUP to generate our report cards for the students but we would like to track the students progress as they move from year to year.

Each class has a fixed number of students and fixed subjects. Basically when I change the class I need the sub-form/datasheet to change the subjects and students depending on another table. It needs to look like an excel sheet (datasheet with students downwards and subjects sideways) and not a normal form which I see on many templates.

Our budgets are very limited so I have been tasked to learn how to do it in Access. I need to first phrase the problem in google so I can find an answer. Any tips from your side would be much appreciated. Am willing to learn VBA/SQL as I enjoy self-studying.

Thanks and regards,

Asief.

Attachments

• Report Cards - Terminal.xlsx
    1.7 MB · Views: 133

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 04:37
Hi and welcome to AWF.
You posted to sample databases which is a moderated area not intended for questions.
I've moved it to a more suitable forum.
Someone will be along soon to offer suggestions

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Yesterday, 22:37
Basically when I change the class I need the sub-form/datasheet to change the subjects and students depending on another table. It needs to look like an excel sheet (datasheet with students downwards and subjects sideways) and not a normal form which I see on many templates.
Asief,

in access, form objects can be viewed in "datasheet" view and if you want a form to display like, for example, the tab called "Grade 1A Data" in your sample excel file, you would create a form in access, set the recordsource to a query which joins the fields of the "students" table and "classes" table and set the "default view" to datasheet. you've got a large amount of data, so I'm not sure you'll find anyone here who is willing to provide u with a sample database that you can learn from without being paid for doing it.

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Hi

You say "Each class has a fixed number of students and fixed subjects."

When a Student moves to a higher Class do the Subjects stay the same??

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Asief
I'm not trying to sell you anything but you could have a look at the free demo ACCDE versions of two of my commercial schools apps : School Data Analyser and Student ICT Database.
The first is a very wide ranging app and a big download. The full version is almost certainly well beyond your budget. However it may give you some ideas.

The second app is more specific but may help you get started. See if it helps

atejani

Local time
Hi

You say "Each class has a fixed number of students and fixed subjects."

When a Student moves to a higher Class do the Subjects stay the same??

No they do not.. any idea how to go about it?

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Hi
With the number of Class's & Students it would take some time to put together an example for you.

atejani

Local time
Just a simple example would do - 5 students and 2 classes... I could then replicate it on a larget scale

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
What does OL & TE represent in Subject Results??

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hopefully the attached quick demo I just created will help.
Note the use of a junction table tblStudentClasses.
Also the use of referential integrity in the relationships window.

I do recommend you look at the links I provided and possibly download the demo versions.

Attachments

• StudentClaases.zip
    30.3 KB · Views: 147

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:37
@atejani,
Relational databases are not spreadsheets. Attempting to replicate a spreadsheet will just lead to frustration and a hatred for Access. To be successful, you need to take off your Excel hat and put on an Access hat and think about the problem in terms of relational tables.

Given what I see in the spreadsheet, it would take a competent Access developer less than 10 hours to reproduce what you have in a way that in a way that will allow you to grow. The problem with spreadsheets is the data is stored in the same way it is presented and in a RDBMS, you store the data in an optimal fashion but report it in whatever format makes sense for the user. So the same data can easily have multiple presentations. Given your spreadsheet design, you have to modify formulas to add subjects or students and build new pages to add new classes. All that goes away once this is replicated in Access.

Start by doing some reading on normalization. You will end up with several tables.

Students
Subjects
Classes
SubjectsClasses - subjects for each class.
StudentsClasses - Students in each class
StudentSubjectGrades - grades and comments for each subject

Take a stab at properly normalizing the tables and we'll help you to move on from there but creating a correct set of tables is required before moving on to anything else.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Largely agree with Pat's comments

The starter app I supplied earlier has 4 tables
tblStudents
tblSubjects
tblClasses - Class & subject
tblStudentClasses - Students in each class

In my opinion there is no reason to add a separate junction table tblSubjectClasses as each class will be for only one subject. If that's not the case for you then add it as well

I omitted the grades part as I wanted to leave something for you to do yourself.
However I suggest you need to add at least two tables for this:
tblGrades - grades available for each type of class
tblStudentGrades - student grades and comments for each class taken

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    9.7 KB · Views: 214

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Asief

Do you have specific Terms within an Academic Year?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:37
In my opinion there is no reason to add a separate junction table tblSubjectClasses as each class will be for only one subject. If that's not the case for you then add it as well
I had the impression from the question that "class" referred to academic year which is why I created a separate table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom