2014 Programmers Survey - What do you Drink During Work (1 Viewer)

What is your favorite drink at work - choose all that apply

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

David R

I know a few things...
Local time
Yesterday, 21:55
So far this is breaking the sterotype of the high-potency sports drink.
In the States, the high-potency stuff is usually called an Energy Drink.

Sports Drink is things like Gatorade, etc.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Yesterday, 20:55
They draw short-term energy by altering the Ph of the body. They are much more corrosive for teeth than soda.
Some countries that allow drug sales, require (or at least use to) a perscription to acquire them due to the health effects.
Professional athletes drink by straw to prevent tooth damage.
It is amazing how advertisement introduced "sports" to be associated with "health". Right?

Last edited:

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
The flavored water would be good to add to the bottled water option description.
Is there a way to edit the Poll? I didn't see one right off

CazB

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:55
anything that DOESN'T contain caffeine or sugar - mostly either purified water or RedBush tea at work...

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I'm retired now but during my working life I drank coffee, in a large organisation it was machine coffee, but during my time at a charity it was instant, made by the ladies, not sexist they barred me after I made a mess of the orders! :)

Now retired it is still instant but with a switch to decaf after 3 pm. I will have the odd glass of apple juice.

Outside of the "working day" I drink bottled water when walking, wine with meals and Peroni beer or neat malt whisky when relaxing.

Note I never add sugar to anything.

Brian

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
https://www.uop.edu.jo/download/research/members/495_1887_llll.pdf
It is a lengthy read, but official research document
Microsoft and Google offere free drinks - primarly free SODA
A research paper
So far, our survey shows Soda isn't the priority.

Code:
[FONT=BemboAR-Bld][SIZE=4][LEFT]Perks[/LEFT]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=BemboAR-Rmn][SIZE=3][FONT=BemboAR-Rmn][SIZE=3][LEFT]Desperate to attract and retain the best and the brightest, tech fi rms
shower their employees with perks. Microsoft offers free drinks,
a heavily discounted gym membership, and an all-expenses-paid
health care plan. Google matched and then one-upped Microsoft
on almost all of these. Free sodas? Try free breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Free gym membership? Use the on-site gym and pool. Deluxe
health care plan? We’ll give you a good one, and throw in an on-site
doctor. Nerds everywhere can only hope that the “next Google,”
whatever it is, will engage in its own perk war.
Of course, cynics argue that these benefi ts are really just a way
to trick employees into staying at the offi ce longer. You can fulfi ll
almost any regular appointment, from a haircut to dry cleaning,
without leaving campus. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]

nanscombe

Registered User.
Local time
That's probably not as daft as it sounds.

I've often said that making food and drinks available to employees on site removes the excuse to leave the building and gets them back to their desks quicker than nipping out to the local restaurant, cafe etc.

If you eat breakfast at the office and find yourself 15 / 30 minutes early what are you more likely to do, go out for a walk or just start work earlier?

It's also useful if you can arrange a meeting and get some food catered, even if you're standing around with finger food and coffee you're still likely to be talking shop.

Dnalor

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:55
It is a lengthy read, but official research document
Microsoft and Google offere free drinks - primarly free SODA
A research paper
So far, our survey shows Soda isn't the priority.

Code:
[LEFT][FONT=BemboAR-Bld][SIZE=4]Perks[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=BemboAR-Rmn][SIZE=3][FONT=BemboAR-Rmn][SIZE=3]Desperate to attract and retain the best and the brightest, tech fi rms[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=BemboAR-Rmn][SIZE=3]
[SIZE=3][FONT=BemboAR-Rmn]shower their employees with perks. Microsoft offers free drinks,[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=BemboAR-Rmn]a heavily discounted gym membership, and an all-expenses-paid[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=BemboAR-Rmn]health care plan. Google matched and then one-upped Microsoft[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=BemboAR-Rmn]on almost all of these. Free sodas? Try free breakfast, lunch, and dinner.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=BemboAR-Rmn]Free gym membership? Use the on-site gym and pool. Deluxe[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=BemboAR-Rmn]health care plan? We’ll give you a good one, and throw in an on-site[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=BemboAR-Rmn]doctor. Nerds everywhere can only hope that the “next Google,”[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=BemboAR-Rmn]whatever it is, will engage in its own perk war.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=BemboAR-Rmn]Of course, cynics argue that these benefi ts are really just a way[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=BemboAR-Rmn]to trick employees into staying at the offi ce longer. You can fulfi ll[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=BemboAR-Rmn]almost any regular appointment, from a haircut to dry cleaning,[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=BemboAR-Rmn]without leaving campus. [/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]

SAS is like that with benefits. They don't even have a set schedule for work. As long as you log the 36-38 hours for the week, you can come in whenever. It seems like a really cool place to work. They even let you work from home in some cases.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Providing drinks is a low-cost way to respect employees.
Then again, working from home has huge benefits too.
What a great company to have both!

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:55
Coffee and water here. Try to limit myself to the coffee. Got to go too much when I drink it.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
That is another one, I failed to think about! The things we learn in a survey. I might have to inulge everyone in a re-do.
There doesn't appear to be a way to edit an existing survey.
Then again, it might look bad if I changed the "questions" and left people's answers the same. LOL Just think about the possibilities!

The objective was to get a statistical sampling and write the editors for some computer type publications.
First, the media has no idea what to advertise with our profession, so they say advertisement doesn't work.
Second, if this site had advertiser that put actual discounts to try out teas, coffees, and flavored drinks... it might actually be a service.

The reason I hate Facebook is because of the insulting advertisements.
The old guy on the early morning Bloomberg TV says he is totally insulted with all of Facebook's advertisement model. He feels Facebook will fail since they can't even comprehend the marketing suggestions.

Thanks for the input. I will add your comment to the first post to explain that better than tap water includes flavored drinks.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Flavoured water better than tap water!! You've got to be joking.

Brian

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Mostly what we drink is flavored water?!? Whether it be soda (sugar added), coffee, tea, etc. It is still mostly just water with flavoring. So now you can add a powder to give your water a little flavor (or mask an undesirable flavor). Some of the tap water I have had in the US is almost undrinkable. From enough iron to give water a rusty look or enough sulfur to turn the glasses yellow. Sometimes a flavored water would be very welcome.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Mostly what we drink is flavored water?!? Whether it be soda (sugar added), coffee, tea, etc. It is still mostly just water with flavoring. So now you can add a powder to give your water a little flavor (or mask an undesirable flavor). Some of the tap water I have had in the US is almost undrinkable. From enough iron to give water a rusty look or enough sulfur to turn the glasses yellow. Sometimes a flavored water would be very welcome.

I sometimes forget about the great water we get in the UK especially the beautiful Welsh water we get in Liverpool, yes elsewhere I drink bottled water.

Brian

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Water from "Liver Pool", on the surface... it just doen't sound right.
Of course, in the states we had water sources such as:
Nowater (No Water), StillWater (maybe it had a kick), Sand Creek (true grit), Salt Fork of the Arkansas River, Beaver Creek (no comment), ...
Salt Fork runs over an ancient dried ocean salt flat. It is in fact an extremely salty water source almost 1,000 miles from any ocean.
Living in a town called Pond Creek next to it got me hooked on bottled water.
Leave it to Americans to distort the languae and name something Pond Creek.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Makes you really wonder about the infrastructure when the water being supplied to your homes is barely considered potable - is that not what certain aid groups beg money for to support third world countries?
Be very observant on where your bottled water is sourced and read the bottle. Mega corporations (and subsidiaries) are vending bottled water which is "municipal source", so they are taking tap water and running it through a 4 or 5 stage reverse osmosis setup and putting it into a bottle. Might as well shell out the £ $ € and purchase your own 5 stage setup.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
The best water I had at a residence was from our own well on a farm. Good taste. Got a little gritty when we were in a middle of a drought.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
For years, one of my jobs was enforcing, processing and submitting over 1 Million Drinking Water samples a year for one state to an agency called the EPA. I was the DBA responsible for the data for our state.
Funny how people think - taste - determines health. Granted, a stench or chemical can in fact predict bad water. There are many cases where a city's water might be too expensive to remove bad stuff... so they get an "exemption". So long as the exemption is printed in a public notice. B.T.W. Access made that possible. The "analytes" were cross-referenced with the official health effects.
If your interested.. here is just a short list of things in your water. I suggest Americans read your yearly public notice each year.
http://water.epa.gov/drink/contaminants/index.cfm

Here is a state by state link to your Public Water Supply (PWS) and the violations they get from time to time...
http://water.epa.gov/drink/local/

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
For years, one of my jobs was enforcing, processing and submitting over 1 Million Drinking Water samples a year for one state to an agency called the EPA. I was the DBA responsible for the data for our state.
Funny how people think - taste - determines health. Granted, a stench or chemical can in fact predict bad water. There are many cases where a city's water might be too expensive to remove bad stuff... so they get an "exemption". So long as the exemption is printed in a public notice. B.T.W. Access made that possible. The "analytes" were cross-referenced with the official health effects.
If your interested.. here is just a short list of things in your water. I suggest Americans read your yearly public notice each year.
http://water.epa.gov/drink/contaminants/index.cfm

Here is a state by state link to your Public Water Supply (PWS) and the violations they get from time to time...
http://water.epa.gov/drink/local/

I work in a government office and they post the yearly results of the local water system. So the water in our building appears to be pretty safe. There are a couple of questionable "analytes".

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
As long as it doesn't require a Notification in SDWIS/STATE, it might be OK.
In our state, hauled water is not regulated.
There are divisions people buy because they are in the beautiful mountains. Once the last unit is sold, they are told... you have to take over hauling the water. The place the water comes from, the trucks hauling the water, and all the rest are just .... unknown.
Some places found they had to pay around $400.00 USD a month for water. They owned the land... not the water rights.
The State passed a law that a home buyer has to sigh that they understand the water supply for a new house. But, of course they don't really understand much of anything when signing all those papers at a house closing.

It is for sure a Buyer Beware.
Years ago, I used to live in Ridgecrest, CA on that dry lake bed.
The TDS (mainly sodium) was skyhigh. So, I installed a R.O. unit. I lost about 20 pounds... just from the lower TDS in the water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom