Hi! (1 Viewer)

tad0075

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:26
I already posted on a couple of question forums (probably a board faux pas, sorry), but I figure you guys should see my intro first.

My name is Tyler, and I'm the Wastewater Utilities Coordinator for a city in the Dallas area. Not sure where the name came from, but I basically do the database management and data analysis for the department, aside from a couple of big purchased db systems (Cityworks, Cartegraph, Laserfiche) Actually, I still do some back-end work on those, but most of my time is spent working with department-specific data resources for the various water and wastewater utilities groups. Plenty of Access and some Excel, with some statistical resources thrown in for fun.

I also work with our GIS (mapping database) mostly to run quality control on the data and link the data with other databases, and I'm getting a little into our SCADA systems for the water treatment plants.Those are... well, interesting, because they very much have their own structure and tend to not get along with the Access databases we would like to link them to.

Aside from managing the data, I do a lot of report-building for the department managers. It's pretty surprising how many details we can find when the shops report good data, like targeting problematic pipes (or regions of the city that cause problems just because of their topography), comparing cost to repair cheap parts vs. buying new ones, and even pace-tracking for certain work groups.

So there's no telling what kind of questions I'll come up with. Probably some relating to linking data sources, since I do a lot of that, and probably plenty of querying questions when I really want to find some data but just can't get it out the way I want it.

Hope to give and receive plenty of good advice on your forum!

Tyler

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom