Issue with absent SubTable via Shared Relational DB (1 Viewer)

DamoDiggler

Local time
Yesterday, 18:11
Hello!

I have a strange anomaly with one of my tables I was hoping to get some insight on... I have at least 3 different shared (as in linked) tables, that (when open) feature the + symbol on the left hand side.. indicating a SubTable is available, yet on this 'anomaly' state I have with a new table.. there is NO + symbol on the left hand side, yet if I visit the 'back end' DB (that the front end is referencing) the table in question DOES have the + symbol indicating.. so, somehow I'm losing that referential 'link' state on the front end table... and I'm a little stuck as to how the other 2 tables feature the 'referential' state fine, but the newly added table seems to 'ignore' it..

hmmmm :banghead:

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 01:11
Welcome to AWF

I think you mean linked tables rather than 'referenced'
The + symbol indicates a subdatasheet.
Is the 'missing subdatasheet' also a linked table in your FE?

FYI the use of subdatasheets is not recommended as these are often confusing to end users. They can also significantly reduce database performance as the subdatasheet table(s) have to be loaded as well as the main table...which adds to loading time

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I disable subtables in table design - they potentially have a massive hit on performance - so can only offer general advice.

Have you refreshed the new linked table (i.e. deleted it and recreated it) since you added the relationship in the BE?

DamoDiggler

Local time
Thanks isladogs,

Yes you're right about the correct terminology, they are indeed 'Linked' tables on my front end referencing the tables on the back end. The missing datasheet is stored on the back end, as are all the others that are 'Linked' on the front-end. So, the missing SubDataSheet is accessible when I open the back-end and check, directly. I've tried re-importing the tables on the front-end (from the back-end) but that doesn't seem to change anything :confused:

DamoDiggler

Local time
I disable subtables in table design - they potentially have a massive hit on performance - so can only offer general advice.

Have you refreshed the new linked table (i.e. deleted it and recreated it) since you added the relationship in the BE?

Thanks CJ,

I have removed the offending table and re-added the dependents as 'structure' only... but again, the front end persists to avoid the attempts to add it in as a 'SubDataSet', which appears to be the thing that everyone appears to be suggesting here hahah, so "Leave it!" they say haha

:D

Last edited:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. If you go to the back end and open the table with missing subdatasheet (not the missing table) and go to design view, what do you see in the following highlighted properties? Can you post a screenshot?

Attachments

• table.png
    table.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 256

DamoDiggler

Local time
Hi. If you go to the back end and open the table with missing subdatasheet (not the missing table) and go to design view, what do you see in the following highlighted properties? Can you post a screenshot?

Thanks DBguy,

Even though this does perform fine on the back end?! .. it's the front end the SubDataSheet is missing from... but, in response to your question, I don't have either of those options in 'design view' (front or back), but then again... those particular options are also absent from the 'perfectly fine' tables that do display SubDataSheets.

So, i'll attach some shots here.. (actually, I'm not 'grown' enough - so I can't) :banghead:

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I presume you have linked to the missing subdatasheet?

DamoDiggler

Local time
I presume you have linked to the missing subdatasheet?

You mean, as in via the Relationship Manager?! ... yes, I have created the same 'one-to-many' link as I have in the tables that do display correctly.

:confused:

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No, I mean your front end has linked to the 'missing' table in the back end

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
That was the same question I asked in post #2.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
oops, but the OP's response is not exactly clear

'I have removed the offending table and re-added the dependents as 'structure' only' implies importing, not linking

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
So, i'll attach some shots here.. (actually, I'm not 'grown' enough - so I can't)
you can if you zip them and upload the zipped file.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi CJ
My point was intended for the OP.
Wasn't getting at you in any way...and agree the OPs answers have been unclear.

DamoDiggler

Local time
Ok, so I zipped the photos and attached them to this message.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 90

DamoDiggler

Local time
No, I mean your front end has linked to the 'missing' table in the back end

Yes, I even tried removing the front end 'tblProducts' and re-added/linked to it from the back end 'tblProducts', but still the front is not mirroring that SubTable as, hopefully, you can see in the attached images.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
sorry, images are no help, need to see the relationships in the backend as a start, plus evidence that the tables you are talking about are in the front end. You've never said what are the subtables, so no idea whether tblSeasons is a subtable or not. tblProducts is not the 'missing' subtable that you have refreshed.

Just remember, this is not a good way of working with your data and one that perhaps does not work as you expect in a FE/BE environment

DamoDiggler

Local time
Ok, thanks I can appreciate this is not the most efficient way of doing it, but it's all we have at this time, so I have to persevere, in future I can rework all of this, but right now I'm trying to make it work... the complete DB back end size is 14mb, so I don't think it's going to hurt too much for now. I have reattached the 'relationships' image.

Thanks

Attachments

• Relationships.zip
    548.4 KB · Views: 79

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I suspect it is because for the subdatasheet to work, tblBarCodeEvents needs to be linked to the tblProducts primary key - something you don't appear to have

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I wondered that as well so tested it.
Whist you would normally use the PK fields when setting up the Subdatasheet, it turns out it works joining other fields as well.

Dano
We're fumbling in the dark here as you are holding back so much information.
Whilst one of us might guess the answer in the end, you really need to upload a stripped down copy of your database (both FE and BE) for this to proceed further.
If the data is sensitive then delete al, except a few records and alter the rest using dummy data. We only need the relevant tables to look at

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom