Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > Site Suggestions

Old 11-10-2019, 06:52 AM   #16
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,718 Times in 1,590 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold
Re: session timeout

Can't discuss hand-held logins, but on the PC if you are using Windows 10, that also has a setting that involves how long you can stay on. I found it once, set it, and forgot about it. AND forgot about where I found it.

I'm having e-mail issues from my browser (Firefox) and apparently the inability to follow e-mail hyperlinks is a known issue with Win10 also. If you are NOT on Win10, then I'm dashed if I know what could do it. But I have seen that phantom logout happen even on an XP system. On the other hand, some of my logins have lasted quite a long time.

Just to rule some things out: The phenomenon is NOT related to the "disallow third-pary cookies" setting. (I've experimented with that one.) It is NOT related to whether you allow the browser to remember your password for the site. (I have NEVER allowed that.)

The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:04 AM   #17
vba_php
Software Engineer

vba_php is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
Can't discuss hand-held logins, but on the PC if you are using Windows 10, that also has a setting that involves how long you can stay on. I found it once, set it, and forgot about it. AND forgot about where I found it.
i'm on win7
vba_php is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:29 PM   #18
vba_php
Software Engineer

update:

my mobile carrier, us cellular, only has one suspicion as to what could be causing this problem. After I use a certain amount of mobile data, my connection speed slows down a bit, and when it does the subsequent connection is said to be "throttled". So their guess is that this phenomenon is causing the session timeout to happen, although I'm not convinced. I've been on plenty of slow internet connections via ISPs over the years and I've never experienced this timeout thing happening.

But through a speed test conducted by google, after a google search for "speed test", it shows my current download speed at .12 mbps and upload speed of .73 mpbs. That is insanely slow, but none the less I can still access webpages with little trouble and even stream videos online with limited buffering.

So I guess I'm stuck dealing with it, since there are no other ideas.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:11 PM   #19
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

While I understand throttling, I don't see that as related to logging you out. To be honest, I would have, at first guess, said it was a cookie problem since web connections are not actually continuous. There is no "keep-alive" or "heartbeat" signal with HTTP or HTTPS. Are you using a VPN? Because what rides the VPN won't have a heartbeat, but the VPN itself might.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:23 PM   #20
vba_php
Software Engineer

Quote:
Are you using a VPN?.
nope!........
Old 11-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #21
vba_php
Software Engineer

another interesting thing regarding this annoyance:

This forum is not the only place that is logging me out after 10 minutes. Another site that is doing this to me is a dating website I am part of. None of the big boys are doing it though...including Gmail, Ebay and Facebook. And the latest occurrance has happened when connected to a strong wi fi network.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:22 AM   #22
vba_php
Software Engineer

did any of you mods say anything to Jon about this? All day today I've been on both my mobile hotspot and on a high speed wi fi network and I've not been logged out once despite long periods of inactivity.

Old 11-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #23
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Ah, that's interesting. Check to see the timeout settings on each of your internet zones. They can differ.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:21 PM   #24
vba_php
Software Engineer

Quote:
internet zones.
i don't get it. what are "zones"?
Old 11-14-2019, 08:03 PM   #25
vba_php
Software Engineer

timeout happening again! and I just got internet service at my house, AND I'm hard wired in with an ethernet cable. where is Jon when we need him?
Old 11-14-2019, 10:08 PM   #26
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

When you set up your network, you have four zones. One is "local" and the other end of that spectrum is the public / general Internet. There is also a "Trusted Sites" setup and a restricted sites category. Here is a reference for it:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...advanced-users

On Win10, you call up the Settings panel and type in Control Panel (to get the older style of panel. 'cause you can't do squat with the Win10 Settings panel.) Then select the Internet Options from that panel. When you do, you get a tabbed control. Select the Security tab and you will see exactly what I am talking about.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:25 AM   #27
vba_php
Software Engineer

Quote:
When you set up your network, you have four zones. One is "local" and the other end of that spectrum is the public / general Internet. There is also a "Trusted Sites" setup and a restricted sites category. Here is a reference for it:
that article is all about IE. I use chrome. where in the CP on WIN 7 would I find this stuff Richard? see attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cookie files - after login.jpg (87.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg cookie files - before login.jpg (98.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg network and internet - CP win 7.jpg (73.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg system and security - CP win 7.jpg (87.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 11-15-2019, 09:06 AM   #28
vba_php
Software Engineer

Richard,

this site freezes up on me quite often, particularly when there are a lot of posts in a thread that have to be loaded when the page loads (I have my settings set to show like 50 posts per page), and during log ins and time outs. And again it freezes up when I try to scroll up and down on these pages that have a lot of posts on them. The progress bar at the bottom of chrome during these freeze ups always says "waiting for cache" or "establishing connection".

Do you think this is relevant?
Old 11-15-2019, 10:21 AM   #29
Gasman
Enthusiastic Amateur

Gasman is a jewel in the rough Gasman is a jewel in the rough Gasman is a jewel in the rough

That normally means corrupted cache?

https://www.google.com/search?q=chro...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Please, please use code tag # when posting code snippets

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gasman For This Useful Post:
vba_php (11-15-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #30
Gasman
Enthusiastic Amateur

Gasman is a jewel in the rough Gasman is a jewel in the rough Gasman is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vba_php View Post
timeout happening again! and I just got internet service at my house, AND I'm hard wired in with an ethernet cable. where is Jon when we need him?
I do not see how Jon can help you. You have already stated that it happens on other sites.? The fact that no one else seems to have these particular problems, would lead me to think it is your setup.?

I have the odd site where I have to use Firefox or Pale Moon to access it as the site does not work correctly in Chrome, for me at least.

I use Chrome as my main browser, and this siite works fine for me, and a lot of the others I suspect.?

Please, please use code tag # when posting code snippets

Gasman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: