Problem with relationship (1 Viewer)

gdiamond

Local time
Today, 09:25
hello everyone!

My modelling might be wrong I'm trying to figure out queries that I'll be able to do with my modelling. Here is the scenario of my modelling: A surgeon order some surgical procedure and this S_procedure needs some surgical Instruments. Sometimes the surgeon will practice the surgical procedure by using a technology, this technology needs also some instruments additional/subtitutionnal from what the S_procedure needs. Also depending on the surgeon, sometimes he might add some instruments additionnaly from what the S_procedure or the technology needs.

I'm trying to know if I could answer these queries:
Which Surgeons needs additional instrument for a surgical procedure named "x" (nameOfsurgicalProcedure)?
What instruments needs a surgeon name "y" (lastname) for a surgical procedure named "x" (nameOfsurgicalProcedure)?

I'm trying to know if my modelling is optimal i added an IDsurgicalProcedure to the table "jt-surgeon_needs_instrument"

Attachments

• frum_instrument.png
    frum_instrument.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 105

King Kreglo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:25
You tables and relationships look spot on in regards to how the info will be displayed.

Here is my suggestion:
1.) Create another table (lets call it tblNew) with Surgeon Name & Equipment Needed in the columns.
a.) Set a temporary variable for whomever the current surgeon logged in is. Ex: SetTempVar(Name:CurrentSurgeon,Expression:=[Screen].[ActiveControl])
b.) Then set the default value of the Surgeon name to =[TempVars]![CurrentSurgeon].
c.) Have the Equipment column run a lookup on [tb_Instruments].[Instrument Name]
2.) Make this table into a form. (frmNew)
3.) Create a button labeled "Request Equipment" that opens the frmNew
a.) Set the where condition of 1=0
b.) Lock Surgeon Name, that way the surgeon requesting the new equipment will automatically be entered and they cannot manipulate the data by mistake.
c.) The surgeon can then select any additional equipment they desire (I'd have the form open as a datasheet if they'll be selecting multiple equipment items at once), then click the close, submit or confirm button (whatever you'd call it).
4.) The Close button would run a query appending the data jt_Surgeon Needs Equipment table and then a query deleting the data just entered to the tblNew to prevent any dupes.

If I did nothing to answer help you, I apologize but let me know! I'm new to this forum so I'll know to filter my thoughts a little better :)

Good luck!

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 08:25
I think you're close, but off. Relationships shouldn't look like a spider web, but like a family tree. The way I understand it is you want to link Orders to Instruments and there are many paths those two entities can be connected. I think your key issue is that instead of 1 tb_Instruments in your relationships, you need 3 (one for each path).

Here's what I would do--clear out the relationships, bring in tb_Orders and tb_Instruments. Then build one path via tb_technology. Then bring in another tb_Instruments and tb_SurgicalProcedures and build another path, then lastly bring in another tb_Instruments and tb_SurgicalProcedures.

gdiamond

Local time
:rolleyes: First big thks to King_kreglo and to Plog!

what I was doing to answer my query is to sum all these 3 queries (Select the instruments need for a surgical Procedure + Select the instrument need for a technique + select the instrument need for this surgeon for a particular surgical procedure)

plog
What I'm trying to do it's to connect the surgicalProcedure's table with the tb_Instruments with some many-to-many relationship. It's seems a little bit, at first, what i was trying to do with the sums. thks.

King_kreglo
Your logic seems good but just a little bit complex for me right now so I'll take some time to dig on it to try your approach too.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:25
I wonder why the tblOrder has to specify the technology.

I would have thought there is an order, lets say knee replacement, and there are a number of ways of conducting this (and I have no medical training). So the tblOrders specifies a procedure and this procedure can be conducted using one of a number of technologies, each of which requires certain instruments.

So tblOrders <--> tblProcedures <--> tblTechnology <-->tblInstruments

gdiamond

Local time
I wonder why the tblOrder has to specify the technology.

I would have thought there is an order, lets say knee replacement, and there are a number of ways of conducting this (and I have no medical training). So the tblOrders specifies a procedure and this procedure can be conducted using one of a number of technologies, each of which requires certain instruments.

So tblOrders <--> tblProcedures <--> tblTechnology <-->tblInstruments

Thanks Cronk :p
I do remember that among all the list of technology that a surgeon might use there is one call "Nothing". I chose to add "IDtechnology" in the "tb_Order" because i think that in a real world situation, the surgeon might tell us in his order which technology he will use. And sometimes a "technology" will subtract or add instruments from the original list of instrument. The "original list of instrument" it's the base one that every surgeon will use with no technology in the procedure. i.e. a "knee replacement" will have a base list of instruments and the surgeon and/or the technology used might add or substract instrument from the list.

Attachments

• frum_instrument_cronk.png
    frum_instrument_cronk.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 109

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom