Compatibility Between Access Versions 2007 and 2016 (1 Viewer)

tlkng1

Local time
Today, 00:14
Hi All...

I realize other compatibility threads have been posted but the questions and answers don't quite meet my problem :)..so, my apologies for yet another one.

At work we are currently running Office 2007. Once one minor issue with Windows 10 and some in-house applications have been fixed, the office will be upgrading to Windows 10 and Office 2016. At home I am running Office 2010 with the Access title bar reading Access 2007-2010.

The database I am still in the process of creating was created with 2007 at the office, but has been updated between 2007 at work and 2010 at home with no problems related to editing, opening etc on either side.

The database itself is not complicated. It is an IT ticket tracking system for generally limited users that I am trying to create from a more cumbersome spreadsheet. I will need to create some VBA, as I can't use macros due to company security policies, and only three of us, at the most, are going to have access to the database. In addition, for now anyway, I only have tables as I am still editing/separating data from the original spreadsheet; (think multiple entries in a single spreadsheet cell that are only separated by commas, such as the dates a user has requested a password reset, that are being separated into different records in the database).

So, the question is, when 2016 comes online at the office, will the database created in 2007 open and then allow it to be saved as a 2016 database, or will I need to effectively import the information from the 2007 database to a new 2016 database in order to have it update to the 2016 settings.

I am still learning VBA so I have a feeling the office will have 2016 in place before I finish any coding. If I have to I can wait on the final coding, or, I am thinking, pre-code 2016 VBA formatting in a different location (if there is a difference and realizing I can't run the compile without being on Office 2016) and add the coding to the database once the office upgrades.

I don't want to install 2016 at home until we upgrade at the office if I can avoid it, as I need the back and forth compatibility at the moment.

Thanks

sxschech

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:14
I'm starting to use 2016, so far program wise, the only issue is that if you have references to other office products, it works when you have 2010 and run in 2016, however, if you take the same database and then reopen in 2010, the office references don't reset to the 2010 versions and have to manually re add them in Tools References of the vba.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Sxschech, if I understand you correctly, (we are moving from O2010 to O2013), I will have to update my references to other office versions manually?

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:14
References will shift upwards automatically but not downwards. Using Late Binding avoids the problem but at the cost of loosing Intellisense.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:14
Don't know about 2016 but for 2007 to 2013, it was no problem. That happened at work before I retired. Auto-upgraded easily to the new version. Could not downgrade back to old version without going into the references list.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Thanks Doc, that makes sense. I asked only so I could add it to my ever-growing checklist...

sxschech

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:14
Sorry if my post wasn't clear, essentially what The_Doc_Man and Galaxiom said. Moving up to newer version of access, no issue with reference, moving down to an earlier version has issue with Refs, unless late binding. Also the QAT took over the close button area, Galaxiom provided steps in another post on how to fix it. I did notice the button to close still doesn't show up, but double clicking in upper left does close the window once QAT is moved below ribbon.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Actually sxschech, you were very clear, I have a terrible habit of going off half-cocked.Doc and Galaxiom, as always, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom