Installing Office on Windows 7 (2 Viewers)

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 17:19
We have a PC running on Windows 7 that is not allowed to be connected to internet.
I'm trying to find a way to install any version of Office 2016 or later on this machine.

A google search brings up a lot of different discussions. Some claims Windows 7 is out of support and Office can not be installed, some says Office 2016 or 2019 SP0 can be installed.

Does anyone know the requirements of installing Office on a Windows 7 machine? Is there any version that can be purchased and be installed with a DVD or USB memory?

Thanks.

Last edited:

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:19
Does anyone know the requirements of installing Office on a Windows 7 machine? Is there any version that can be purchased and be installed with a DVD or USB memory?
There is the Office offline installer for all currently supported versions of Office. - I never tried this though.

Maybe there are technical problems installing the most recent versions of Office 365, but the older version (2016 and 2019) should still work on Windows 7.

KitaYama

Local time
There is the Office offline installer for all currently supported versions of Office. - I never tried this though.

Maybe there are technical problems installing the most recent versions of Office 365, but the older version (2016 and 2019) should still work on Windows 7.
thanks for the reply.
I can not find Office 2016 requirements in Microsoft.com. The following page (and some others say the OS should be Win 10 or 8.1

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:19
I can not find Office 2016 requirements in Microsoft.com.
Should be in the top 3 results for this query: https://www.google.com/search?q=Office+2016+system+requirements

Microsoft does not explicitly list Windows 7 or Windows 8(.1) anymore as both are out of support. They just state somewhat vaguely:
"Product functionality and feature availability may vary on older systems." - Nonetheless, Office 2016 should work without any limitations on Windows 7.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:19
Is there any version that can be purchased and be installed with a DVD or USB memory?
Think that is your problem right there - unless you already have a valid license I doubt you will be able to install office successfully. Yes there are sites which claim to have a valid license but almost certainly it will be a false claim

however assuming you can’t get a disk but have a valid license you should be able to create an installation file on a thumb drive.

Suggest don’t install outlook as that will definitely need an internet connection although providing you don’t open it I suspect it would not be a problem

you also will need to register the license - there should be a phone number you can call
in the absence of an internet connection

can’t remember the bitness of win7 but if it is 32bit, only install 32bit office

KitaYama

Local time
@CJ_London Thanks for the help.
Since I can't find Office 2016 in Microsoft's on-line shop, I'm planning to purchase it from Amazon, which I assume will come with a valid license.
My main concern at this point is even if I'm successful to install it on a Win7, how the validation process will be.
The PC is used for managing confidential data and we can not connect it to internet., even for seconds.
Long time ago, before we use office 365, if I recall correctly, there was a validate with e-mail option during activation process. I wonder if still that option exists.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
You could set the machine firewall to block everything except for the Office program, connect it up, let it validate, then unplug it from the outside world again?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm planning to purchase it from Amazon, which I assume will come with a valid license
assume nothing - make sure whoever you buy from has a returns policy.

Validation is either on line or via a phone call - in your situation, online is not an option unless you can temporarily connect to the internet. Don't know about validate with email (would still require a connection), have not come across that.

see this link - it includes 2016 and win7 - but looks like it is through the '365 portal' - still needs a connection

KitaYama

Local time
assume nothing - make sure whoever you buy from has a returns policy.

Validation is either on line or via a phone call - in your situation, online is not an option unless you can temporarily connect to the internet. Don't know about validate with email (would still require a connection), have not come across that.

see this link - it includes 2016 and win7 - but looks like it is through the '365 portal' - still needs a connection

Phone would be fine.
Thanks for the return policy warning Too.

KitaYama

Local time
You could set the machine firewall to block everything except for the Office program, connect it up, let it validate, then unplug it from the outside world again?
I suggested this, but nobody is brave enough to stand against company’s policy, no matter how safe it is.
thanks.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 04:19
We have a PC running on Windows 7 that is not allowed to be connected to internet.
I'm trying to find a way to install any version of Office 2016 or later on this machine.
Does it have to be Office 2016? An alternative would be LibreOffice. It should be Windows 7 friendly.
If you can't connect to the internet, are you allowed to install from a CD, USB, and/or local file transfer?

If you can. From another computer that can be connected to the internet (like your home computer) download LibreOffice onto a CD or USB device and install LibreOffice onto the computer that is not allowed to be connected to the internet.

KitaYama

Local time
Does it have to be Office 2016?
Any version of Office should be fine.
The machine is a Bestselling CNC Vision Measuring System (bellow link) and we're trying to use its Export to Excel utility. I doubt if having products other than office can solve the problem.

If you can't connect to the internet, are you allowed to install from a CD, USB, and/or local file transfer?
Yes, CD and USB can be used when we login as an admin.

If you can. From another computer that can be connected to the internet (like your home computer) download LibreOffice onto a CD or USB device and install LibreOffice onto the computer that is not allowed to be connected to the internet.
I'll investigate further on this with the manufacturer.

Thanks for taking your time and helping.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 04:19
The machine is a Bestselling CNC Vision Measuring System (bellow link) and we're trying to use its Export to Excel utility. I doubt if having products other than office can solve the problem
Sorry I can't help you with Office 2016. Consider that LibreOffice Calc is supposed to be equivalent to Excel.
While Calc saves spreadsheets in its native Open Document Format (.ods), it can also open and save files in Microsoft Excel format for sending to people still locked into Microsoft products. If you only need to make your data readable, but on a wide range of devices and platforms, you can easily export to Portable Document Format (.pdf). Calc can read .xlsx files created with Microsoft Office for Windows and macOS.
So the question becomes, can your CNC Vision Measuring System send data to LibreOffice Calc? I can't answer that question.
Assuming that you have the time, it may be worth an experiment.
In the meantime. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom