Dsum Not Working (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:11
The "no" result comes from a Yes/No checkbox on a form and is formatted as a yes/no in the table. It places a Yes or No value in the table and query.

Syntactically, this should be portrayed as

Code:
ThisMonthWeekdays = DSum("[TotalSales]", "QryYTDSales", "[Event] = False And [date1] BETWEEN #" & StartDate & "# AND #" & EndDate & "#")

{if [Event] contains TRUE or FALSE}

(or)

ThisMonthWeekdays = DSum("[TotalSales]", "QryYTDSales", "[Event] = 'No' And [date1] BETWEEN #" & StartDate & "# AND #" & EndDate & "#")

{if you load [Event] with the words Yes or No}

The syntax of the original statement has the word NO acting as though it were a field named [No] or a variable named No. That is, however, not what you just described. Whatever [Event] contains is some value. Your Event = No (where No just kind of sits there like a lump) doesn't convey that type of comparison. The word "No" is not an Access reserved word because despite the name, a Yes/No field is actually TRUE or FALSE. (There IS a constant value called vbNo but it is used in a different context.)

If I change the start and enddate variables to actual dates instead of variables I also achieve the correct result.

This points to issues in date formatting. Review comments about the differences between USA dates and UK dates - and recognize that even if your Windows settings include a particular date format, Access doesn't always honor that. The syntax of your date selection ( [date1] BETWEEN #" & StartDate & "# AND #" & EndDate & "#" ) suggests that you are substituting dates in some literal format and perhaps that format doesn't match what Access wants. OR something is wrong with the format of [Date1].

Others have also suggested issues with your dates. I was trying to be open-minded about causes so that I wouldn't miss something, but I still can't rule out that this is a date formatting problem. In fact your comment about manual vs. programmed dates strengthens that viewpoint. All I can suggest is that when formatting the [Date1], StartDate, and EndDate items, they must ALL be treated identically because otherwise you are not making an "apples to apples" comparison.

Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 06:11
Put all the criteria into a single string, then you can debug.print it and see *exactly* what you are getting.

Your formatting looked OK in previous posts, but you never know.?
Show what is being used, not what looks like being used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom