Remote Desktop Connection (1 Viewer)

PeterOC

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:14
I'm having a problem with Remote Desktop Connection. I used to be able to dial in a company I do work for but recently I can't. I'm getting the error message "The client could not connect to the remote computer"

I'm using windows xp. I've tried turning my firewall off and turning off Norton Anti-virus. Can anybody suggest some checks or possible solutions.

I've checked up the MS website for general trouble shooting advice on this. I know the server IS set up to accept RD connections. I've checked with the local IT to make sure there aren't active sessions open. What I'd really like to know is if there's a way I can check if the problem is down to the network.

I've tried ping the site but it's not a numeric like 145.3.4.8 it's in the form of blah.blah.com.au:9999

Any help would be much appreciated.
P

Last edited:

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 12:14
does the ping work? do you get a response from the host?

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:14
Have they installed VPN tunnels at the server end?

PeterOC

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the replies.
Adam:
No the ping doesn't work. I get 'request timed out'. It does give me a proper IP address which I didn't notice before so I pinged this as well with the same result.
David: I'll find out about the VPN Tunnels and get back to you. I was able to dial in no problem for months and I don't believe anything has changed. Also it may be worth noting that the IT guy for the company told me that he could dial in via RDC.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 12:14
I just ask my question because I tried that awhile ago, and it turns out that the computers were either turned off, or the network cable was not plugged in. :)

PeterOC

Registered User.
Local time
I've just contacted the company IT guy who assures me that he can dial in. He got me to telnet to one of the ordinary connections(?) which worked but the advanced port didn't work. So apparently it's down to either the isp that I'm using blocking me or some setting on my own pc. I've got norton protection centre on. I've turned off virus protection on this but can't find any setting that relate to inbound firewall even though it's mentioned in the main screen. I've also turned off the windows firewall but this hasn't made any difference.

don't know what to do next. Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom