Report Column alignment - Printer Issue? (1 Viewer)

pvs

Local time
Yesterday, 23:09
I don't really think this is an Access issue, but maybe more of a printer problem ... but maybe somebody here has run across it before, and can point me in the direction of a solution.

I've built a report that contains three sets of similar columns, all formatted the same way, and showing similar data. The report prints correctly on my HP Inkjet at home, as well as two HP Lasers (one color, one B&W) here at work. But today, after installing the MDB file on two remote workstations (both of which share another HP laser) on my job, I found that in one column, SOME rows of the report are concatenating two of the columns. The affected rows of data are always the same (this is reproducible), and it is always the same column that fails to obey it's defined location (the other two sets of columns print correctly).

I have attached two photos of this report ... the first one is from a printer that is printing correctly, and the other shows the issue I am describing. From these samples, it MIGHT appear that fractional values in the column might be the problem, as the 100% ones on this page are correctly spaced, while all the non-100% ones are not, but this is not the case, as other pages DO have values under 100%, and with fractional amount correctly formatted.

FWIW, print preview on these two workstations is showing the data correctly formatted.

Oh ... and the yellow highlighting is just for illustrative purposes in this forum. It was added to the JPG images with photoshop, and is NOT done in Access ... just in case anyone thinks that the highlighting might be causing the issue.

Does anyone have any ideas? Could it be that the printer requires service? (It seems to work fine, otherwise). Colud this be being caused by a printer driver problem? Is there some way I can fix it within the Access Report?

Thanks in advance for any ideas anyone can come up with,
-pvs

Attachments

• IMAGE_028 copy.jpg
    IMAGE_028 copy.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 203
  • IMAGE_029 copy.jpg
    IMAGE_029 copy.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:09
Have you checked for Microsoft Updates as well as newer versions of the printer drivers?

pvs

Local time
Have you checked for Microsoft Updates as well as newer versions of the printer drivers?
I haven't, but I guess I am leaning toward that being a possibility myself. In my organization, the individual workstations are locked down against us "mere mortals" installing apps and drivers ... but I guess there's nothing preventing my LOOKING for updated drivers and requesting our Tech Services Dept to install them if they exist.

It just seems that this is still a longshot, as the issue only appears on certain lines of the report. But as I don't have any other ideas right now, I guess that's where I'll focus my attention tomorrow.

Thanks so much for the reply. I really appreciate it.
-pvs

pvs

Local time
OK, just a follow-up on this, as a definitive solution has not yet been confirmed.

I compared the Printer Driver installed on these two machines with ones available on HP's site, and found that there ARE new updates. I have asked the users of the two machines to put in a work request to have their drivers updated (as stated in Post #3 above, our organization locks down the desktops, and only our support contactors can install things on them).

But as things move slow as molasses around here, it might be some days/weeks before this happens.

If all else fails, I will simply have the users resort to printing on a different network printer (which will also need to be installed by the contractor) :(

Alisa ... thanks so much for your input.
-pvs

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:09
You are welcome - I hope that gets it fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom