Question Linked Table manager (1 Viewer)

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:37
What would cause Linked Table manager to relink table fine (except read only for some reason) but if I check the always prompt for new location, then it gives me an "ODBC -- call failed" error.
I wanted to specify a different DSN, but won't let me get that far.

Access 2007
Sql Server 2008

permissions are correct on the SQL server.

HiTechCoach

Local time
AFAIK, you can not use teh Link Table manage for this.

The only way I know to do it is to delete all the linked ODBC tables and create new linked tables.

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Today, 12:37
You can modify the ODBC links to a different DSN when using Linked Table Manager. I do it almost daily here at work. We have a test DSN and a Live DSN and we have to switch back and forth while doing programming changes and then releasing to live.

I don't know why you would get a "Read-only" issue but I would select each table ONE-AT-A-TIME and then see which is causing you a problem.

HiTechCoach

Local time
You can modify the ODBC links to a different DSN when using Linked Table Manager. I do it almost daily here at work. We have a test DSN and a Live DSN and we have to switch back and forth while doing programming changes and then releasing to live.

I don't know why you would get a "Read-only" issue but I would select each table ONE-AT-A-TIME and then see which is causing you a problem.

SOS,

Are you doing it with Access 2007?

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:37
SOS,

Are you doing it with Access 2007?

I do it regularly with Access 2003 and although I have not tried it with Access 2007, I expect no major issues when we convert to using Access 2007 (or perhaps even Access 2010) later this year.

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
So far every table gives me that error.
But the first table is not read only, so that does not appear to be the issue.
I have done this before, just this is a new test system I used migration assistant to break the data to a SQL server.
NOTES - Design table (in access 2007), compare ODBC connection strings appear to be the same, except for the table name. If i connect using SQL Server's MS, as the same userID/Password, I can run an update statement on any of the tables. Currently the ODBC Connection string has a coded connection string (DSNless) and i was trying to change to point to an actual DSN to see if made the tables that won't let me update them, update-able. i don't see anything significantly wrong with the current connection strings (other than they don't show the password).

Code:
ODBC;Description=Calibration Control;DRIVER=SQL Server;SERVER=SIIHARDYDEV31;UID=CalibCntrl;DATABASE=CalibrationControl;LANGUAGE=us_english;TABLE=dbo.Assign_Too

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
So far every table gives me that error.
But the first table is not read only, so that does not appear to be the issue.
I have done this before, just this is a new test system I used migration assistant to break the data to a SQL server.
NOTES - Design table (in access 2007), compare ODBC connection strings appear to be the same, except for the table name. If i connect using SQL Server's MS, as the same userID/Password, I can run an update statement on any of the tables. Currently the ODBC Connection string has a coded connection string (DSNless) and i was trying to change to point to an actual DSN to see if made the tables that won't let me update them, update-able. i don't see anything significantly wrong with the current connection strings (other than they don't show the password).

Code:
ODBC;Description=Calibration Control;DRIVER=SQL Server;SERVER=SIIHARDYDEV31;UID=CalibCntrl;DATABASE=CalibrationControl;LANGUAGE=us_english;TABLE=dbo.Assign_Too

One more thing to consider is system related. You might need to check whether the SA for your Network/Database (there might be more than one) has enabled your Network/Database user ID with all of the rights that are required to use the database.

HiTechCoach

Local time
I do it regularly with Access 2003 and although I have not tried it with Access 2007, I expect no major issues when we convert to using Access 2007 (or perhaps even Access 2010) later this year.

2007 has issues with comveeting databases.

SP2 helped a lot.

SOS maybe having better luck because of how they have set up the DSN .

With 2007 others are having issues.

I am not converting any of my companies apps to 2007. We might go to 2010.

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
2007 has issues with comveeting databases.

SP2 helped a lot.

SOS maybe having better luck because of how they have set up the DSN .

With 2007 others are having issues.

I am not converting any of my companies apps to 2007. We might go to 2010.

Thanks for the heads up Coach. I will advise the steering committee and maybe we will wait to go to 2010 after all.

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
I figured it out, was reading some other posts and it struck me, have to have a primary key defined on the SQL table (and represented in the linked table). (Smacks forehead).
Dang user designed Access systems I.T. gets stuck with ;) :eek:

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Today, 12:37
Yep, that would do it all right. :) Glad you figured it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom