reliability of an MDB file? (1 Viewer)

kefka95

Local time
Today, 15:59
I'm working on an application for my job that involves heavily using an MDB file stored on a network drive, and I'm trying to determine how stable/reliable the MDB file is going to be. The application itself is an Excel userform application that connects to the database via ADO, and reads/writes data via SQL queries.

I've taken pains to ensure that each database connection the application opens is only open for as long as it absolutely needs to be (typically around half a second). However, these half-second read/write connections will occur constantly - probably 10,000+ times per day.

This application will be used by 20-30 users. My understanding is that Access databases can have issues with multiple simultaneous users. However, in this case each connection is only open for a fraction of a second, so I would not think there would be many "simultaneous" connections (unless many users just happened to initiate a database-related action at exactly the same moment).

Would there be any major concerns with a setup such as I described above? I'm hoping not, as this is about the only database solution I have access to. I'm just a manager in a business area (not an IT or "systems" person), so I have to make do with the tools at my disposal.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:59
With that many users I would be putting the data onto a database server such as the free Express version of SQL Server. It is definitely going to outperform Access.

The conversion of the front end should not be too painful with ADO. However I believe Microsoft is dropping ADO for the next version of SQL Server.

kefka95

Local time
Today, 15:59
Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately I will probably be stuck with Access for the time being. Assuming that's the case, is the problem with Access just a matter of slow database performance? Would there be a significant risk of data corruption or any other issues to be aware of?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom