2007 - Split Database

GUIDO22

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:22
I have a relatively small database of approx 28 MB - for 5 users max on Access 2007 -since the upgrade from '97 I have noticed a significant degradation in performance over the network - not so much on my machine which is the server/host machine but on the clients. All are Pentium/Celeron processors and recently I have beefed up the working memory to approx. 750MB/ 1GB on all these machines.

Even so, on occasion, I might type something in a field on a form - Access seems to 'fall asleep' for 10 seconds or so and then wake up again. Indeed, the window caption states (Not responding) .... This is not happening all the time but enough that when it does happen it is particulalry frustrating. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I am thinking of splitting the database into a front / back end to resolve this issue but perhaps it is not a network traffic problem / the database isnt really that big considering others that I have read about on the forum that run into 100 of MBs! - can anyone suggest this a sensible idea / or could I regret at a later date?

Thanks for any help/suggestions you may have.

Guido

Check Tools --> Options and see if the autotrack features are turned on (not sure what tab they are on but it's two checkboxes below each other).
If so, clear the checkboxes, compact and repair and that should help.

It's on by default and in my experience it's best to turn it off for performance reasons.

Check Tools --> Options and see if the autotrack features are turned on (not sure what tab they are on but it's two checkboxes below each other).
If so, clear the checkboxes, compact and repair and that should help.

It's on by default and in my experience it's best to turn it off for performance reasons.

Cant find these - dont forget the Ribbon Bar (Home/Create/External Data/Databxse Tools) or is it on the Access Options button? Even so, what is the precise text I should be looking for on these checkboxes?

Thanks

maybe these will help. See attached pictures:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 1.gif
    1.gif
    9.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 2.gif
    2.gif
    46.4 KB · Views: 79
maybe these will help. See attached pictures:rolleyes:

Checker - I don't think you understood that he is using Access 2007 and it does NOT have any of those menus or toolbars.

I'll post something shortly with the locations suggested by Checker.

Don't know that the suggested thing will work or not, but here's what Checker was talking about:

A2K7OptionsAutoCorrect01.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom