32-bit + 64-bit

Pat,
AFAIK a VM is just that, a VM. You put whatever O/S you want in it, Linux, Windows, whatever.

Just not using that Evaluation version,as it comes built in, so to speak.

I know what a VM is. What I didn't know is where to the the image that the VM said it needed. Looks like you download the software to build one from the MS Windows site. Still pretty murky regarding why you can't just download an image with only the OS installed.

My understanding.
You download a program that creates a VM.
You download an ISO image of whatever O/S you wish to use.
You open the VM and install that O/S just as you would if it was a new computer.

Now the evaluation version is Windows only and so no harm in including Wndows in it to start with, but with vanilla VMs, the choice of O/S is up to the user. One VM download works for any O/S.?
Why have to mainatin multiple versions when just that one will do and let the user do the rest of the work?

You download an ISO image of whatever O/S you wish to use.
So far, I have found NONE of those - free or for sale except the ones from the link we were just discussing. I have found software to create an image on the MS site.

I know that the VM software and the OS are two separate products. But the VM is useless without an OS. The VM software says it needs an OS image file - apparently no one sells them, at least not for Windows Pro. I did find some for Linux but Access doesn't run on Linux. I seem to have to download a THIRD piece of software that allows me to make an Image the VM can use from the OS I download from the MS Windows site.

Here is a video of how to make an ISO.

I *thought* Windows installed whatever version of the key you have?
I have upgraded two PCs and this laptop to Win11 with the same usb stick.
The PCs are Pro, and this laptop Home.

You do not create an ISO, but download one.

The Windows download page I found initially does not include ISO as an option. To get the ISO, you had to download another piece of software and create the ISO yourself. This time, the same search found a new page that has the ISO by itself. This looks like it might be an upgrade page though because it talks about installing Win 11 "on the device you're currently using"

also:

"If you want to install Windows 11 directly from the ISO file without using a DVD or USB flash drive, you can do so by mounting the ISO file. This will perform an upgrade of your current operating system to Windows 11." ------------------- this would really piss me off if it happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, you download a program called the Media Creation Tool.
Been that way for years. You use that to create the media to install/upgrade other computers than the one your are on. If you wanted to upgrade trhat you would use the first button.

As you can see, I have downloaded my fair share over the last few years. :)
Even getting the last one, there are always a few updates since it was created. :(

Best to come off the Net when installing, as it works much quicker.

Edit: Seems I had also downloaded the ISO as well. :(
1720721825958.png

Last edited:
Yes, you download a program called the Media Creation Tool.
So, you knew that all along, but you all kept leaving out that part. At least the ISO is now available directly with Win 11. The problem is that the directions are still terrifying since the directions assume I want to upgrade my system - which I do not want to do.

Looks like I had better try to do this with the laptop to avoid upgrading my work PC to Win 11. I can install the VM software and point it to the ISO and that probably works.

Then, I'm assuming I can configure Windows, install Chrome and SQL Server and make a backup of the VM so I have a clean starting place. Then I can create one VM with 64bit Office and another VM with an old version of Office. I think the oldest one I have is 2007 which is probably old enough.

The new ISO is run inside the Virtual Machine only, you set up and run the VM and then choose your ISO. Within the Virtual Machine you set up Windows and probably Access as a normal install but it isn't, its virtual. The minute you turn off the virtual machine it all goes away.

The new ISO is run inside the Virtual Machine only
Not true - The ISO is used to upgrade windows according to the download site. That means that handling it improperly could be dangerous.

Yes, if you create a VM you can use the ISO to install Windows in the VM but you also can use the ISO to install Windows directly to your PC. Skipping over details can be dangerous.

You cannot inadvertently install windows.
Too many steps.

The VM is a TESTING environment a sandbox that protects the main system from unwanted installs. In fact you could test Windows 11 on a VM with zero consequences because it's virtual.

The VM is a TESTING environment a sandbox that protects the main system from unwanted installs. In fact you could test Windows 11 on a VM with zero consequences because it's virtual.
I don't believe I said that the VM was dangerous. Only that the ISO has two uses. One of which is upgrading your installed version of Windows and the other is to provide an OS when creating a VM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom