$48 thousand vs. $67 million

Sean O'Halloran

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:38
..Or: "What Access Can Do That Powerbuilder Can't"...

Six years ago I picked up one of those 1500 page MS Access tomes, found Pat Hartman, The Doc Man, and many others here on this forum, then sat down for two weeks and laid down the foundation of a database ( "GINGER" ) that has been used by several hundred of my fellow social workers. It holds all the data relevant to creating professional risk assessments and other paperwork necessary for our work here in the Baltimore County, Maryland Dept. of Social Services.

It took me about 90 minutes to show a person how to use GINGER. Once a user had worked two cases with GINGER they were hooked - no one went back to using the MS Word templates floating around the office, which was the prior work process.

Five years ago the State of Maryland began building a database. It was intended to give social workers who protect children a tool to assess the risk of harm to children, document services we provide, track foster children, send relevant data to Washington, and (this was the big selling point!) share our records with other social workers who might work with those children and families in the future. We were told that the application, built with Powerbuilder by Deloitte and Touche, would save us social workers time and effort, speed up our services, create all our paperwork, and free us to spend more time with our clients.

Social workers from my agency are currently in training on the State system - 4 days of training to learn how to enter data - and several of them have come back weeping; others threatening to quit their jobs.

They said that the State system doesn't hold half the data we need, it is slow, complex, clumsy and confusing, it doesn't allow the user to correct entry errors in vital information, it doesn't produce important paperwork, AND - it doesn't allow users to have access to past client records, which was the whole point of building it in the first place.

They told me that compared to the State system GINGER creates a more professional and complete record of our services, with greater efficiency in time and effort, and with a much more user-friendly interface than the one the State has paid $67 million dollars for.

My salary is $48 thousand a year.

I have no formal Access training. Much of what I learned of the technical aspects of Access I got from the generous experts who volunteer their time in this Forum answering questions.

But I got something else that was more important: All of your answers are steeped in a belief that there are ways to make the software work better for our users, and that creating a great application lies in devoting ourselves to meeting the users' needs.

For that, and more, I thank you all very much.

Sean O'Halloran, LGSW

Sean,

Maybe you should offer your services to Deloite & Touche? It sounds like there is some fat in the gap between $48k & $67m to pay you a bit more that the government do. :D

Kudos to all those souls on the forum who assisted you.

I'm glad such fine software and such a caring person were able to be used to such a good end (protecting children).
While I have little experience in government, I have learned why such a cumbersome system would generally be used. It conforms to the federal template. The state or city has to conform their software to be downloaded onto the Fed's mainframe.
There is usually large grant money involved.

Maybe you should offer your services to Deloite & Touche?
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Near the project's beginning I thought about trying to get hired by D. & T. so I could help, but they would have fired me the first time I argued that the front-line social workers were the REAL customers, not the State (mis-) management team. Our own State team refused to listen to us folks who do the job every day; they were more concerned about getting the system built "on time and on budget".

Timing has been very important:The system roll-out schedule was pushed back from completion next June to completion this November.

Oh, did I mention that our Governor is up for re-election this November? ;)

Sean

The UK has a dismal record of implementing large IT projects (and other public projects) for the government.

Really and truly, almost all of them get discarded after many hundreds of millions of pounds spent. The real horror is that the preceding systems are generally ditched in the process and you end up with a system that is worse than the original problem and no budget to do anything about it.

This is such a problem that the National Audit Office put a moratorium on new IT projects until proper project management practices are adopted.

It is a while since I lived in the UK so the details may be off slightly, but I'm sure that was the gist of things.

So, you are not alone in your frustration, if that is any consolation. :)

I think that you are right - you would have been fired, but you wouldn't have been happy working there either. Better left to those who's only interest is the weekly invoice for 'consultancy'.

Keith Nichols said:
The UK has a dismal record of implementing large IT projects (and other public projects) for the government.

It hasn't improved, the lastest project for the NHS is costing billions, is way over budget, way behind schedule and the company building it is laying off staff because it's in serious financial difficulty.:rolleyes:

Why do those in high office lack common sense?
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8122-2210007,00.html

Last edited:
Also in the mix of problems noted here is the current generation of programmers who have no knowledge or concern that "user friendly" is not necessarily "fellow programmer (dude) friendly" or "boss friendly". My years in flight simulation (real ones) taught me to make learning the customers "language" the first priority in a project.

Rich said:
It hasn't improved, the lastest project for the NHS is costing billions, is way over budget, way behind schedule and the company building it is laying off staff because it's in serious financial difficulty.:rolleyes:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8122-2210007,00.html

The system at Nuffield was not build by the same company that Accenture are working with that are laying off staff.

One of the points to note is on the NHS project if the companies fail to deliver they do not get paid..

Rich said:

Because theyhave risen above their abilities.

Government or Business Rule applies is a lot of cases

Len (Minion)

A programmer who showed me some basics of MS Access told me, "A programmer can make the user interface easy to for himself ( herself! ) to build, or easy for the worker to use. You can't do both." AND "In order to make the system 5 percent more user-friendly, the programmer has to do 50 percent more work."

Somedays it all seems so simple: The true customer is the person who has to put data into the application; just give them what they need to do their work...

- And thank you for your kind and thoughtful responses.

Sean

I just finished a project for our local government.

The head of IT wanted nothing to do with it so it was contracted out. This guy is a real control freak and suffered from a common control freak problem: "if I didn't have the idea, it can't be any good".

Anyway, I finished the project and the cheque cleared.

Had lunch yesterday with my contact. The database must be better than I thought. The dept. head is now claiming it was his idea and is taking all the bows for the praise coming in.

Anyone know a good way to do blackmail?

So what more did you expect.

Have no fear if there is a problem it will be with the bit you did..... not with the rest of it which was IT Head's design

L

Len Boorman said:
Because theyhave risen above their abilities.
Government or Business Rule applies is a lot of cases

It's happened a lot in the civil service.

"People getting promoted to their level of incompetence"

They're okay at level one, so promote them. Repeat this until they get to a level they can't handle. Union regulations ensured that they can't be demoted (as they wouldn't take the paycut back to whatever they were on before ) or dismissed (as it was the management's fault for promoting them in the first place) so they remain at this position, and do it badly, in perpetuity.

Matt Greatorex said:
They're okay at level one, so promote them. Repeat this until they get to a level they can't handle. Union regulations ensured that they can't be demoted (as they wouldn't take the paycut back to whatever they were on before ) or dismissed (as it was the management's fault for promoting them in the first place) so they remain at this position, and do it badly, in perpetuity.

I have been working at the local government level for about 2 years now and I can say that I'm alarmed at how often this really happens. :eek: :rolleyes:

MrsGorilla said:
I have been working at the local government level for about 2 years now and I can say that I'm alarmed at how often this really happens. :eek: :rolleyes:

That's good - admitting the problem is the first step toward fixing it. :D

Matt Greatorex said:
That's good - admitting the problem is the first step toward fixing it. :D

We have at least 2 people in my section that are drawing rather large salaries for doing nothing (in excess of $60,000 I think). Nobody trusts them with any work because it will get screwed up, and we're all just waiting for them to retire so their salaries won't go against our budget any longer. :rolleyes:

In fact, one of these people took a job out at our airport as a supervisor and wasn't there 4 months when they quietly brought him back and tucked him away in obscurity in the basement because it wasn't "working out". Truth be told, I think they were facing a revolt from all the other workers out there if they didn't get rid of him.

There are people like that here, but there are a lot of good workers here too. It's just that when you have "bad" people it's a lot harder to get rid of them here than it is out in the private sector.

MrsGorilla said:
It's just that when you have "bad" people it's a lot harder to get rid of them here than it is out in the private sector.

My last job was at a place supplying parts to one of the big auto manufacturers. The union had such a grip on both that place and it's customer that you practically had to kill someone to get dismissed.

People knew the rules inside out and spent twice the effort on learning exactly how far they could bend them as they did on learning their actual job.

It was the smug grins you got from the union reps as they used a technicality to save the job of someone who clearly deserved to lose it that really got to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom