accde oddity (1 Viewer)

John Sh

Local time
Today, 19:08
I am running Windows 10 and Access 2010. Windows is updated as of yesterday, 12-7-23.
I have an accde version of my software that performs normally except for closing down.
The shutdown command is docmd.quit after closing the current form.
The oddity:
If I run the program, via a shortcut on the desktop, from a folder on a network drive access does not close. Instead I get a grey window that eventually closes after numerous clicks on the close (X) button.
Running a copy of the software from the "C:\Access Front End" folder, again via a shortcut, Access shuts down normally.
The shortcuts are both generated by windows with the "Run" property changed to "Minimized"
The same software in accdb format closes normally in both scenarios.
Obviously the solution is to house the software on the local machine but, why is it so?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:08
It is a sometimes unappreciated fact that local file permissions and network file permissions are often different beasts. When the database is open, you should be able to see a file with a file type of .ACCDE in your network folder. You should ALSO see a file with the same name but .LACCDB as the file type. This is an ACCESS lock file. If you can do so, open your DB and then check the folder where the network-related file resides.

From the Windows File Explorer screen, you can right-click on the .ACCDE or .LACCDB file to see its properties, one of which is its Security. Under the advanced security option you can ask it to show you the effective permissions on a selected file - such as your two files of interest. The correct setting for effective permissions must be not less than the broad-brush MODIFY option. FULL CONTROL is not needed - but MODIFY is definitely needed. This permission must be on the .ACCDE file AND on its corresponding .LACCDB file. However... the only way to do that correctly is to have MODIFY permissions on the folder itself - so that the proper permissions can propagate down from the folder.

Reasons why this might not happen correctly would be that the folders above that location don't have proper permission. And here is where the difference between local and remote files will rear its ugly head. On a local machine, you are the owner of everything except the system files. The permissions are oriented around you to be able to do pretty much anything. On a network folder, you are probably NOT the file owner. The permissions don't like you sometimes.

As to why the .ACCDB files work correctly, I suspect you are trying to do something that ACCESS doesn't like when done from an .ACCDE file. But since I don't play with those too often, I don't have a specific answer for that one. I'm sure other members will be able to offer some tips.

John Sh

Local time
Today, 19:08
It is a sometimes unappreciated fact that local file permissions and network file permissions are often different beasts.
Thanks Doc_Man. Concise and to the point. I will check the permissions. It is a university network and the IT people are a force to be reckoned with so that may well be the problem. I will, however, put the accde file on the local machine desktop as that is much easier than dealing with IT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom