Access 2003 - Tables (1 Viewer)

dualvba

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:42
Hi there :confused:

I am developing a database to assist a member of family, who runs an Aunction House. Their current database is really restrictive and so tied up on authorisation loops, they can't add any reports and I can't amend the database for them at all, and am having real difficulty exporting all the core data to be the foundations for my own new one.

However, I have one table for the actual items, another for the customers (who can be buyers as well as sellers - I have set them up one sole account), I'd like to be able to add to my customer form, a sub form (perhaps) lisiting all items they have sold and another showing how many they have bought, as well as invoice history for both.

My main question, at present, is that they currently use the items table, live on the day of the auction. They filter it for that days auction date, and add live into the table, who bought the item, the hammer price (what it sold for), as on the other side of the office, customers come up the counter to pay for their items, and an invoice is pulled off there and then.

I had thought about exporting a query and them adding the data back in, but as they are using the table at the same time, it needs to be live.

Can you suggest an alternative better way?

I have added so far, the tables and populated them, as well as a number of queries, and a customer and item form. I've not added any VBA at all as yet. I wanted to get the nuts and bolts in place first.

I'm not sure how to set permanent filter at the top of the table, so they can filter for that days auction only.

I also want to include a search on the top of the customer form, so they can search by the persons name or ID number?

I havent' added the invoice section yet, but they need to be able to pull up all items that customer has purchased and add them to an invoice, and for the invoice to stay in the history.

Also need to be able to pull invoices for the seller. They can relist items for 3 weeks, then they need to be notified to come and collect their items, I've created a report, for all sold items on a particular day, as well as a list of unsold items, with the time attached, so they can relist for the following week, or contact the seller to collect.

Can you think of a better alternative? I'd like to be able to add conditional formatting, so they know by colour if they need to go back, or can be relisted, like a RAG system (red, amber green), not sure if this is possible, I've not researched this as yet.

Sorry, lots of questions. I've only joined today. I'm self taught from books and the web, and attended a few Access Courses last year and VBA and am now hooked.

Thanks so much
Clair

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:42
if you currently have a commercial package, it will probably not be designed to make it easy to change.

even if it is a bespoke package, it may be designed to prevent inadvertent change

in any event, can you not just connect a new database to the tables in this dbs - rather than export them.

to be honest - if you are new to this - changing the way a dbs operates may not be ever so simple. you need a good understanding of what is going on.

dualvba

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Gemma

Thank you for the quick reply. The current database has been designed to prevent any changes we think. All they have on their desktop is the front portal, we can't get access to the tables, we've looked everywhere, and can only think they are stored on a separate server, to save space on the pc.

They don't know how to access the server either, so at present, without them contacting the original guy (who was very expensive), I'm stuck as to how to access the tables hidden in the background.

I am a beginner really, in all this, but really love it, and have developed a few databases with VBA for work already, and really want to help them, so I'm starting afresh with the little bit of data I have been able to extract (but ie, I don't have the historial invoice data, or the entire customer details). But I do have all item information, who the seller is and who bought it, etc.

But without them having to do update/append queries, I don't know how to go about them updating directly to the main item table. Its hectic in there on an auction day. Someone runs back and forth from the auctioneer, bringing back the sheet with the item number, hammer price and buyer ID, so these get logged straight in, and normally there is a queue at the front desk, for buyers who are waiting to pay for all their items.

Really appreciate you taking time to read my question.

Best wishes
Clair

sparks80

Physicist
Local time
Today, 14:42
Hi,

Apologies if you already know this - you can often bypass the startup options for an Access database by pressing the shift key while the database opens.

This may allow you access to the database window and database objects. There are quite a few ways that the developer could have secured the database and prevent this though:
- by compiling the database into an "execute only" file type, with an extension .mde.
- disabling the bypass key
- using user-level security

But it's worth a try if you haven't already.

Last edited:

dualvba

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you sparks80, yes I tried pressing the shift key. The main tables of the database are locked away on their private server, and I think they have either disabled the bypass key or tying it up somehow in restricted access only.

I would like to eventually, store their tables onto their server, as I can see their database getting quite big, but want them to get it up and running first, before I do this, as I am sure I can split the database at some point, although I'm not sure at this stage how to do it, a question for another time

Thanks so much, I really appreciate you all responding and giving advice.

Best wishes
Clair

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:42
If your relative paid to have this software developed for them, they are entitled to the source code which the developer should supply (unless the contract gave the rights to the developer). If this is an "off the shelf" package, the license agreement will probably prohibit this type of usage although hopefully there will be a way to extract the data which does belong to your relative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom