Access 97 under Win 7 (1 Viewer)

syswizard

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:01
I have a client who is stuck on Access 97 (long story).
I've gotten Access 97 installed on Win 7 up to SR-1.
When I go to install SR2b, I must run some admin programs to unsecure the Windows\Fonts folder. Otherwise, SR2b fails to install.
However, after I do that, SR2b installs, but completely corrupts the Win7 registry and renders the machine unbootable.

Any suggestions ? Should I attempt to install with the WinXP virtual set-up that runs WinXP under Win 7 ? Is there any way I can find the unzipped DLL's and register them manually ?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I would try running the app with the A2007 or A2010 runtime instead of trying to get the A97 full version to work. The jump from 16-bit to 64-bit is a "bit" much;)

syswizard

Registered User.
Local time
Chris - is that your specialty: finding duplicate posts in forums instead of responding to any one of them ?
Time to get a life dude.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 22:01
No Mr. Syswizard, his specialty is to help people out, just like all the other volunteers here. And he is justifiably miffed at those who crosspost without the courtesy of notification of that fact.

Now before you go ballistic and dig a deeper hole for yourself, read this: http://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
So, sys, did you ignore my suggestion in favor of complaining about ChrisO?

syswizard

Registered User.
Local time
Pat - the "long story" is that the client had a huge custom-made CRM built upon VB6 with custom controls. They lost the source code and the custom controls and could not recompile into a later version of DAO to support later versions. So we bolted onto the system an Access 97 app which integrated well.
They then hired a dev firm to rewrite using SQL Server and dot-net, but the contractor failed to deliver a working version after 3 man years of effort.
So they cannot rely upon the new system just yet; so I got the contract to patch-up the old system once again.
BTW: I did get AC97 to install and run without a VM on Win7.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I didn't say to convert the app. I only said to use A2010 runtime to RUN it. But if you got A97 to install, that's fine.

syswizard

Registered User.
Local time
I only said to use A2010 runtime to RUN it.
Impossible since the system was written in VB6 and compiled with DAO 3.51. Some of the source code was missing and all of the custom controls were missing as well.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I thought we were talking about an Access FE. What does a compiled VB6 app have to do with Access? Are you confusing Access with Jet? Access is a rapid application development tool and is what we use to create forms/reports/queries/macros/procedures. Jet and ACE are desktop databases and are used to support the DATA part of an application. If you are using a VB6 application with an "Access" database, you are NOT using Access at all. You are using Jet and all you need to install is Jet and you can install the latest version which would be 4.0.

syswizard

Registered User.
Local time
Yes Pat, you got it. It was a VB6 app, but installing Jet is only one part of the process. The VB source code must be recompiled with the new Jet library references. The source was gone so that could not be done. So I built additional functionality onto the application using AC97. That allowed for full integration into their CRM with no redundancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom