Access and Outlook (1 Viewer)

LadyDi

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:19
I have been asked to create a report based on e-mails in a group inbox. I just need to know the subject line, date and time received, and whether or not the e-mail is read. The only way I know to do this right now is manually go through the inbox. Is there any way to programmatically pull this information into Access?

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
You can import or link Outlook folder information as explained here. If that doesn't work for you you can retrieve the information using Outlook Automation.

LadyDi

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for responding. I tried the instructions in the link you provided. However, for some reason after I click to link the data and click OK, the wizard closes. It doesn't let me finish the process. Is there something I am missing? Do I need a reference set up to get this to work?

Are there instructions to use the Outlook Automation?

LadyDi

Registered User.
Local time
I also just found the attached zip file. I followed the instructions, but cannot get it to display the e-mails in the folder. Is this something that should work?

What would be better -- to use something like the attached zip file or to link the table?

Attachments

• OutlookDemo.zip
    880.7 KB · Views: 83

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
Thank you for responding. I tried the instructions in the link you provided. However, for some reason after I click to link the data and click OK, the wizard closes. It doesn't let me finish the process. Is there something I am missing? Do I need a reference set up to get this to work?

You don't need a reference. You should be seeing the Import Exchange/Outlook Wizard screen shown in step 3 of the instructions. If you are not then I suspect there's something wrong with your Office installation. Is your Outlook application working ok? You might want to try a repair of Office.

Are there instructions to use the Outlook Automation?
If you can't link to the Outlook folder then I suspect Automation will fail too. So I think you will need to get that working first.

I've haven't found any good instructions in one place. When I've needed to use it I've just googled around to find the pieces I need. Here are two links that will get you started.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff865816.aspx
http://www.databasejournal.com/features/msaccess/article.php/3827996/Working-With-Outlook-from-Access.htm
If your don't know VBA I suggest starting with this video series.

Also that zip file you uploaded looks like a good source for code but I would be a lot easier for you if you can get the linking working.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 09:19
I also just found the attached zip file. I followed the instructions, but cannot get it to display the e-mails in the folder. Is this something that should work?

What would be better -- to use something like the attached zip file or to link the table?

FWIW I downloaded and followed the instructions as I thought it might be something I might be interested in?

I can get most items working like tasks, email, but I also do not appear to be able to read the emails, although it shows me the correct count in each folder.?

Wizard from the link works great though.

Thank you Sneuberg.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
What version of Outlook are you using ? The newer on-line "streamed" versions don't support automation.

LadyDi

Registered User.
Local time
I'm using Office 2013.

Does that mean I won't be able to get the link or the automation to work?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
No - office 2013 should be fine. It's certain versions of 365 - cloud based things.

LadyDi

Registered User.
Local time
I was able to get the zip file I attached earlier working. I just need to modify it a little and am not sure where to begin.

1. It is currently just looking in my inbox. I need it to look in the inbox of a group mailbox (not my personal one). How can I re-direct it?

2. I would like to add a couple columns to it. Is there a way to pull whether or not the e-mail is read? Also, is there a way to pull if the e-mail has been assigned a category?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
good luck with this.

I imagine only a limited number of us interact with Outlook in the way you are trying to do, so you will probably find just a small pool of helpers. A lot of this sort of stuff becomes trial and error, based on snippets you may find searching the internet.

Hopefully the links you have got so far will help you get there.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 04:19
LadyDi, I have been working a similar (off and on as the work load permitted) for about 6 months now.

I had my "Eureka!" moment yesterday. If this is still something you need to solve, let me know and I will post the details here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom