Access and SQL Server on Azure

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:19
I have developed in Access with Jet and ACE and with .Net Visual Studio and SQL Server on Azure.

I have never tried Access with SQL Server on Azure. Can someone with some experience on the matter shed some light.

Many thanks in advance.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 00:19
It works.

What else do you need to know?

Seriously, Access with SQL Azure is similar in most important ways to Access with any SQL Server database, considering, of course, that it is a remote, or "cloud" location. All performance considerations, therefore, pertain mostly to the issues related to a remotely linked database.

For example, interface design must emphasize minimal data transfer between the Access FE and the SQL Azure BE. You can find numerous discussions here and elsewhere on this topic.

Security considerations come into play, of course, but primarily from the perspective of supporting greater data security in the SQL Server/SQL Azure database.

The two biggest problems you are likely to face are, therefore, slower performance and the need for a rock-solid internet connection. If you design appropriately, and invest in appropriate connectivity, you should be fine.

Do you have any concerns, in particular, though?

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
It works.

What else do you need to know?

Seriously, Access with SQL Azure is similar in most important ways to Access with any SQL Server database, considering, of course, that it is a remote, or "cloud" location. All performance considerations, therefore, pertain mostly to the issues related to a remotely linked database.

For example, interface design must emphasize minimal data transfer between the Access FE and the SQL Azure BE. You can find numerous discussions here and elsewhere on this topic.

Security considerations come into play, of course, but primarily from the perspective of supporting greater data security in the SQL Server/SQL Azure database.

The two biggest problems you are likely to face are, therefore, slower performance and the need for a rock-solid internet connection. If you design appropriately, and invest in appropriate connectivity, you should be fine.

Do you have any concerns, in particular, though?
Many thanks GPGeorge for your reply.

You have provided answers to most of my questions. If something else comes up I will come back.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:19
Probably 90% of our clients are on an Azure SQL BE and Access FE.
Designed carefully they work very reliably. It's never going to have the performance of a LAN-based local SQL server, but it's more than acceptable for most processes.

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
Probably 90% of our clients are on an Azure SQL BE and Access FE.
Designed carefully they work very reliably. It's never going to have the performance of a LAN-based local SQL server, but it's more than acceptable for most processes.
Hi Minty and thanks for your reply.

Do you use the Access Runtime in your deployments?
Are there any 32bit 64bit conflict issues with installed Office?
Do you use ADO & OleDB, DAO & OBBC?
Do you use linked tables?
Do you have security issues?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
We occasionally use runtime, but a majority of clients have 365 subscriptions, if they do use runtime we make sure we know whether they have 32 or 64-bit installed for distribution.

We use DSN-Less linked tables with ODBC connections.
We have sometimes completely disconnected the tables and only connect during start-up. It depends on the nature of the data and the customers needs/worries about data security.

Security - we have encrypted logins, and utilise the IP address whitelisting facilities in Azure.
We have built a system that allows a registered user to update their home working IP address via a secure anonymous HTTP link.

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
We occasionally use runtime, but a majority of clients have 365 subscriptions, if they do use runtime we make sure we know whether they have 32 or 64-bit installed for distribution.

We use DSN-Less linked tables with ODBC connections.
We have sometimes completely disconnected the tables and only connect during start-up. It depends on the nature of the data and the customers needs/worries about data security.

Security - we have encrypted logins, and utilise the IP address whitelisting facilities in Azure.
We have built a system that allows a registered user to update their home working IP address via a secure anonymous HTTP link.
Regarding DSNless connections I came across in this link

how to do a DSN less connection in Access (what is Local and pubs) - Microsoft Community

the following

"... Just keep in mind that you don’t really need any VBA code at all.
If you use the linked table manager and link using a file DSN, then that connection is DSN less.
At that point you can simply distribute the front end to each workstation, and no further setup is required.
What the above means is you really don’t need any VBA code at all to create DSN-less connections. ..."

What is your view on this?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Our approach varies depending on the client, some want as much direct access to the data/table restricted and the connections hidden, some aren't bothered. I always have a file DSN for a client locally as It makes connecting to new tables a breeze and I don't need to remember a million different database passwords.

For the majority of clients (generally SME's), we simply use the linked table manager and have routines inbuilt to switch from a Production BE to Dev/Test BE databases. We remove easy access to the tables/navigation options etc. but don't try and make it like Fort Knox, as it's simply not required, most small companies trust their staff.

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
Our approach varies depending on the client, some want as much direct access to the data/table restricted and the connections hidden, some aren't bothered. I always have a file DSN for a client locally as It makes connecting to new tables a breeze and I don't need to remember a million different database passwords.

For the majority of clients (generally SME's), we simply use the linked table manager and have routines inbuilt to switch from a Production BE to Dev/Test BE databases. We remove easy access to the tables/navigation options etc. but don't try and make it like Fort Knox, as it's simply not required, most small companies trust their staff.
Many thanks Minty for your reply.

The claim above is that once you use the file DSN once, then you do not need it again and can distribute the FE without the file DSN. IS this in line with your experience and if this is OK, how safe securitywise is this?

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
Attempting to answer my own question... Access gets the information from the File DSN into the linked table and once you have the connection there appears to be no further reference to the file DSN.

My follow up question regarding Security still is there. Is this method secure?

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
I tried to confirm the theory and I created a file DSN and successfully linked a table. I then deleted the DSN file. Each time I try to use the table it prompts me for the username and password of the SQL Server, as indicated in the attachment. Can we get around this?

Attachments

• FileDSN.jpg
    FileDSN.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 51

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
When you link to the table you can opt to store the password, that will remove the need for it to be input.
However, the password is easily accessible if you examine the connection string for the table, so it depends on how locked up you make things as to how secure or not that is.

The alternative is you use code to connect the tables on start-up and provide the password in the code, which if you compile to an accde, is not accessible.

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
When you link to the table you can opt to store the password, that will remove the need for it to be input.
However, the password is easily accessible if you examine the connection string for the table, so it depends on how locked up you make things as to how secure or not that is.

The alternative is you use code to connect the tables on start-up and provide the password in the code, which if you compile to an accde, is not accessible.

For the "alternative" you mention above do I still need a DSN. Better can you suggest some VBA?
Many thanks.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
There are a lot of posts covering DSN-Less connectivity and web guides.

One or all of those should get you going.

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
I tried using the following (one of your suggestions)
Code:
Function AttachDSNLessTable(stLocalTableName As String, stRemoteTableName As String, stServer As String, stDatabase As String, Optional stUsername As String, Optional stPassword As String)
    On Error GoTo AttachDSNLessTable_Err
    Dim td As TableDef
    Dim stConnect As String

For Each td In CurrentDb.TableDefs
        If td.Name = stLocalTableName Then
            CurrentDb.TableDefs.Delete stLocalTableName
        End If
    Next

If Len(stUsername) = 0 Then
        '//Use trusted authentication if stUsername is not supplied.
        stConnect = "ODBC;DRIVER=SQL Server;SERVER=" & stServer & ";DATABASE=" & stDatabase & ";Trusted_Connection=Yes"
    Else
        '//WARNING: This will save the username and the password with the linked table information.
        stConnect = "ODBC;DRIVER=SQL Server;SERVER=" & stServer & ";DATABASE=" & stDatabase & ";UID=" & stUsername & ";PWD=" & stPassword
        MsgBox (stConnect)
    End If
    Set td = CurrentDb.CreateTableDef(stLocalTableName, dbAttachSavePWD, stRemoteTableName, stConnect)
    CurrentDb.TableDefs.Append td
    AttachDSNLessTable = True
    Exit Function

AttachDSNLessTable_Err:

AttachDSNLessTable = False
    MsgBox "AttachDSNLessTable encountered an unexpected error: " & Err.Description

End Function

It found the linked table and I received the error shown in the attachment

at which point it deleted the linked table and prompted me for the username and password of my SQL Server DB on Azure

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Error.jpg
    Error.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 46

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Interesting error message. Not sure why it would be trying to connect to the Master database?
Let's start at the beginning.

Firstly, examine an existing connection string to ensure the driver details etc. are all as they should be for a working linked table.
Secondly, just as a check, connect to a table using the "new data source" option and save the password to ensure you still have everything as it should be.

Next, I would use a much more modern ODBC driver, bear in mind whatever driver you use will need to be installed on the end user's machine. Personally, we use Version 17 but will be moving over to Version 18 for new clients. Available from here:

You will need to adjust the connection string to match the driver being used.

If a new driver and the correct connection string still fail report back and we'll engage the bigger thinking caps.

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
Interesting error message. Not sure why it would be trying to connect to the Master database?
Let's start at the beginning.

Firstly, examine an existing connection string to ensure the driver details etc. are all as they should be for a working linked table.
Secondly, just as a check, connect to a table using the "new data source" option and save the password to ensure you still have everything as it should be.

Next, I would use a much more modern ODBC driver, bear in mind whatever driver you use will need to be installed on the end user's machine. Personally, we use Version 17 but will be moving over to Version 18 for new clients. Available from here:

You will need to adjust the connection string to match the driver being used.

If a new driver and the correct connection string still fail report back and we'll engage the bigger thinking caps.
So as to be on the same track, can you please tell me which method to use to create the linked table.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
First step:
1684841449955.png

Then
1684841517954.png

Then choose an existing DSN or create a new one which will prompt you for the server details. If you go New you can pick the driver to use:
1684841635165.png

Then you get to enter your detials
1684841698166.png

Hopefully from there you get a list of tables and views on your server, select one and create the link.
There is a box that says save password:
1684841800334.png

This should create a linked table and the the appropriate connection string.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom