Access and the web (1 Viewer)

Treason

#@$%#!
Local time
Today, 15:16
I am very comfortable with MS Access and VBA. It is definitely my database language of choice. Anyway, I want to send information from my tables into a web server so users can hit the website and search for records. From reading the forums, I can see the Data Access Pages is not the way to go even though it is tempting. So, now I am thinking about uploading either a csv file or an xml file via an ftp/vba script running on_timer. But now I am unsure about the reliablity of such a procedure. My other problem is how will the web database import the newly uploaded csv or xml file? I have yet to sign up with a webhost, so I can go with any web language (php, asp whatever). What are your opinions? Is ftp a good idea? Will it be reliable? I really want to keep this in Access because I am good and fast at it. TIA!

Sergeant

Someone's gotta do it
Local time
The #1 choice of web-ifying Access would be via ADO connection.
You can make Active Server Pages to interact with the database, or you can take the .NET plunge to present your info on the web.
Perhaps you could define exactly what functionality you want for your web visitors, and we can help you.

Treason

#@$%#!
Local time
The web will only be used to view database information. One user will update a local mdb, and that mdb will be sent to the web periodically. I am not really to sure how to send the information to the web. Looking for the best solution.

I was thinking to run a timer, that will lauch an ftp app, and replace the old db with the new. (I think this way is possible)

The other idea is to simply send new/updated records to the db, and have them imported. The problem here is I do not know how to insert records into the wed db. I do not want to use a web form, because I do not want the user to have to do anything manually, it must be automated.

Any suggestions are appreciated...

TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom