Access Continuous Form too long for screen

amallon

Local time
Today, 02:36
I have an access continues for displaying lists of meals that need to be cooked in the kitchen of a ready meal company. They have a 55" TV on the wall in portrait orientation. The problem is now that they have so many different meals that the number of records is too long to be displayed on the screen in one go.

Anyone any ideas on how to have multiple view of the recordset. Maybe a button that allows you to jump to the second batch or records?

Determine how many records can fit on the screen and maybe try the GoToRecord method.

With a screen that large you could perhaps divide the menu up into two or three forms displayed side by side- mains,desserts, snacks for example

I have an access continues for displaying lists of meals that need to be cooked in the kitchen of a ready meal company. They have a 55" TV on the wall in portrait orientation. The problem is now that they have so many different meals that the number of records is too long to be displayed on the screen in one go.

Anyone any ideas on how to have multiple view of the recordset. Maybe a button that allows you to jump to the second batch or records?
For whom is the TV display on the wall provided?

Who controls it? Who uses it? What do the users need?

I think the idea of providing two or more side-by-side filtered subforms makes the best solution for a read-only wall mounted display.

filtered subforms
I suggested side by side forms rather than subforms, as with subforms you are limited to the overall width of the main form which on a 55" monitor is roughly half the width

You would simply create 3 instances of the existing form and in each instance set an appropriate filter

I have used side-by-side identical forms populated with top 10, then 11-20, etc. Placing one below the other and provide a means to jump from Frm1 to Frm 2 etc may suit.

I suggested side by side forms rather than subforms, as with subforms you are limited to the overall width of the main form which on a 55" monitor is roughly half the width

You would simply create 3 instances of the existing form and in each instance set an appropriate filter
You're right, of course.

I have a system that manipulates products by up to 100 or more pack sizes.

I show the products in groups of 25, as that's the most that will easily fit horizontally on a screen. The users can select whichever block they want. So 1-25 26-50 etc. it's the best solution we found.

I have used side-by-side identical forms populated with top 10, then 11-20, etc. Placing one below the other and provide a means to jump from Frm1 to Frm 2 etc may suit.
I'm still stuck on how this works for users who don't have control over the computer which is running the wall mounted TV display. Who can make the display jump between forms. I can't quite picture it in action. If one user is involved, and that user has control over the computer which displays the menus, yes. But I'm picturing a kitchen with multiple people looking at the wall mounted display for guidance on menu options. Or a display for customers to select from. How would customers manipulate forms on the TV?

I realize the original question mentions a button, but I'm not seeing who gets to push the button.

If I'm misinterpreting the scenario, what would be the context here?

We never got an actual answer on what the purpose of the display is. If it is to keep track of a task list, the display should refresh automatically as a task is completed.

1718984502177.png

This is what it looks like so adding more colums isn't an option as we are using the full width. Is there a way to change the subforms data source to shown the first 80 records or something.

I'm still stuck on how this works for users who don't have control over the computer which is running the wall mounted TV display. Who can make the display jump between forms. I can't quite picture it in action. If one user is involved, and that user has control over the computer which displays the menus, yes. But I'm picturing a kitchen with multiple people looking at the wall mounted display for guidance on menu options. Or a display for customers to select from. How would customers manipulate forms on the TV?

I realize the original question mentions a button, but I'm not seeing who gets to push the button.

If I'm misinterpreting the scenario, what would be the context here?
They have a key/mouse in the kitchen where they can make small amendments to orders. Say something spills of they can't cook enough of a certain dish

We never got an actual answer on what the purpose of the display is. If it is to keep track of a task list, the display should refresh automatically as a task is completed.
It shows the kitchen staff that they neeed to make 30 x chicken currys, 4 x Lasange etc. It also shows them overall how much of certain primary ingendients they need to cook. 50kg of chicken, so much pasta etc.

How did you change the data source?

We still have no idea why they need to see the entire list all the time.

Surely the meal prep isn't random. Isn't there some order to how the kitchen will work? What good does showing ALL items at once do? What are all the columns for? Doesn't anyone have a plan for the order in which the cook will work? Is the kitchen at least broken down into teams? Maybe you need 4 monitors. One for each team.

Amallon,

Can you describe how to interpret the graphic to show "30 x chicken currys, 4 x Lasange..."?
Perhaps you could tell us more about the current display---the who what, why, when sort of approach... as Pat has asked.

The first column seems to be the record ID and should be hidden anyway. Once you hide that column (don't delete it, just set its visibility property to No and set the width to something like .05) you will have more room. Also, this is a continuous form. You can use a scroll bar to scroll up and down or left and right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom