Question Access Databases with new Office 2010 (1 Viewer)

bokarinho

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:44
Hello,

I have a question to make. I have a production server that is a file server, holds shares and some databases in access 2003 format. (mdb or mde) files. We added a new WS2008 server and want to move the shares and databases in it. We are going to install Office 2010 professional in it. Are we supposed to have any problems? Users in the company will still use office 2003 suites in their pcs. Do all the users need to update to office 2010? We are planning it, and we will do it some day eventually but i want to ask if users with office 2003 can open the network database on the server with office 2010?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 02:44
Why would you install Office 2010 on the server? Under normal circumstances that makes no sense (based on your description of the server as you didn't say it was going to be used for Terminal Services or Citrix).

Also, the users can't run Office 2010 on the server (unless they are logged in to the server using Terminal Services, Citrix, or an RDP Session).

Just moving the shares and the databases doesn't mean that the users can't use them using their current version of Access, as long as you make sure that linked tables are relinked and any items that might use UNC are changed to reflect the new paths.

But also, if you haven't done it, the databases should be split with the backend (having the tables only) and it being on your file server and then a COPY of the frontend on EACH user's machine.

bokarinho

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:44
Why would you install Office 2010 on the server? Under normal circumstances that makes no sense (based on your description of the server as you didn't say it was going to be used for Terminal Services or Citrix).

Also, the users can't run Office 2010 on the server (unless they are logged in to the server using Terminal Services, Citrix, or an RDP Session).

Just moving the shares and the databases doesn't mean that the users can't use them using their current version of Access, as long as you make sure that linked tables are relinked and any items that might use UNC are changed to reflect the new paths.

But also, if you haven't done it, the databases should be split with the backend (having the tables only) and it being on your file server and then a COPY of the frontend on EACH user's machine.

Thanks for your reply,

I installed Microsoft Access Runtime 2010 on the Server. When i try to open the *.mdb databases that i have on it, there seem to be many problems that start with missing ocx files and in the end of the process a run time error execution appears and after clicking ok the database application closes and never manages to start. So i wonder if installing Office 2010 professional will open the databases i have on the server. I am thinking of MARuntime 2010 of being the same as Access 2010 with less previledges and potentials. So will they open if i install Office 2010? Do i have to convert the databases to the new format accdb?
I still want to use the mdb format.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 11:44
My suggestion: read very very carefully, line by line, what Bob has written. Your post #3 indicates that you have missed the major points in Bob's advice and questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom