Access issue - compact and repair database doesn't work (1 Viewer)

Jedytka

Local time
Today, 08:33
Hi,

At work I have one access file which is use by me and my team workers. Ech of us saved copy of this access on our individual sharedrive and use it every day.
From yesterday I have issue with compact and repair option. When I click "compact and repair database" I get microsoft Windows error: "the application is not responding. The program may respond again if you wait. Do you want to end this process? "
I add that I am not familiar with access database. I got this file from our client and it worked for years. Nothing change recently, nobody changed any options etc.

I hope that someone will be able to help me.

Best regards

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 02:33
Is DB split? Does each user have a front end?
Is the file on your actual machine or are you accessing it over a Lan?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:33
You can't C&R while a database is in shared use. Is it a big database and on a server. It may be better to rename it, download it to your PC, C&R there, and then copy it back. That way other users can't interfere with your process.

Jedytka

Local time
I'm not sure that DB is split. Ech user have a front end.
The file is save in location: disk C\users\my user\app data\name of our data base
Ech of us saved this DB in the same way
Then we upload using DB 2 excel sheets. One shows data which we need and second file is upload to another database which is saved in our sharedrive.
We use virtual machine for work (VDI horizon)

Jedytka

Local time
You can't C&R while a database is in shared use. Is it a big database and on a server. It may be better to rename it, download it to your PC, C&R there, and then copy it back. That way other users can't interfere with your process.
It means that I can't use DB when someone else use it at the same time? If Yes propably I with my cooworker tried to use DB at the same time but right now everyone closed DB and I still cannot use it.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 02:33
I'm not sure that DB is split.
You should have 2 files. The backend file should contain nothing but your tables. This backend is shared by your users who connect to it with their individual front ends. Users should not share front ends. The front ends contain all your forms, reports, code modules, etc.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:33
Maybe it's an issue with the locking file

Assume you have a split database.

When you close the database, so no users are active. Check the folder that holds the data.

You data file will be Datafile.accdb, or maybe Datafile.mdb
There may be a small file (less than16k) called Datafile.laccdb, or Datafile.ldb

This second file is a locking file, and stores details of active users.
If there is such a file try to delete it in windows. Not the large database, just the locking file.

Normally that file disappears when the last active user closes the database.
Sometimes though, when you have problems the database can terminate, or you may kill the task in task manager without killing the locking file.
If there are no active users you will be able to delete the locking file. If not the server things there is an active user.
If you can determine who has an active session to the database, you might be able to close the session correctly.

Once you delete that locking file you should be able to compact and repair.
If windows won't let you delete the file because it still says it is in use, then the only solution is to restart the computer.

Be careful not to delete your data. In fact, copy it first just in case.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom