Solved Access not displaying properly (3 Viewers)

AHeyne

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:32
@isladogs : If you could make a snapshot of your VM you could easily check if Access 2003 still works properly after upgrading to SP3 or also to 11.8321.8405.
That would at least end this long thread with a conclusion, I think. ;-)

Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 09:32
The O/P could even do the same and see if it behaves in a VM?, but if they are not even comfortable re/installing windows, that is not likely an option? :(

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
@AHeyne
Whilst I could do that, I'm using a different OS for that VM so I don't think it would prove anything
After almost 180 posts at the two forums, the OP needs to bite the bullet and take the necessary action - install a fresh copy or upgrade

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Well they have a workaround, so they can use that.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:32
Well, it seems the super moderator does not this thread to continue. I cannot flag this as "solved". So, I will flag this as "unwatched" and respond to anymore posts.

For those of you, that tried to help, I am grateful.

Going offline now/

It is less that the super moderator does or doesn't want the thread to continue. It is that getting information from you and getting you to respond to suggestions with a report on results seems unusually difficult, which raises frustration level. We are all glad to help but usually get more evidence of active cooperation. Not saying you DIDN'T cooperate, but we didn't see strong evidence of that cooperation. When problem threads reach a post count greater than 100, that is never a good sign for ANYONE involved in the problem. I won't say this is insoluble, but it may EFFECTIVELY be that way.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Continuing on the other site where post count is only up to #56 :)

AccessShell

Local time
Today, 04:32
I removed McAfee. The DBs now open properly. I really don't know hoe McAfee messed thing up.
I had been on another forum trying to learn about Anti-Virus apps to use. They suggested I delete McAfee and let Windows Security take over.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:32
Probably that means that McAfee had downgraded its "opinion" of Access, which in turn probably means it could have been fixed by going into McAfee to make Access fully trusted. Since I don't have McAfee I don't know the exact method to tell it to trust a particular program, but I had a similar problem for a different utility program with Kaspersky and changing its trust level was my solution. DIdn't think of that in your context, I guess because the AV package didn't come up in the thread. Glad you found out - and thanks for publishing your answer. Others who search for DB startup-display problems might learn something very useful.
(y)

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 01:32
Probably that means that McAfee had downgraded its "opinion" of Access, which in turn probably means it could have been fixed by going into McAfee to make Access fully trusted. Since I don't have McAfee I don't know the exact method to tell it to trust a particular program, but I had a similar problem for a different utility program with Kaspersky and changing its trust level was my solution. DIdn't think of that in your context, I guess because the AV package didn't come up in the thread. Glad you found out - and thanks for publishing your answer. Others who search for DB startup-display problems might learn something very useful.
(y)
IIRC, many AV applications, like Norton or McAfee. have "white list" or "black list" options for various programs, which usually means Access needs to called out in those cases.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
My post (36), March 27 at AccessForums.net:
Found another possibility - AV. Perhaps the "good" pc has none, or a different version, or a different setting. I don't know (or forgot) what environment you're working in, so AV might not apply. AV should not be scanning mdb files if that is the case.
OP posted 11 more times there before disabling AV. So yeah to post 126 here.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Not back, really. Just wanted to confirm what was said over yonder; 'specially because it turned out to be the cause. By my reckoning, you guys kept at it for 10 or 11 more days after that. It seems like an unfortunate waste of people's time. I only followed here because I wanted to be sure I was in on the solution since nothing over yonder seemed to solve it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom