Access on a peer-to-peer network (1 Viewer)

stopher

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:06
Hi All

I'm considering building an Access d/b for a charity who have a peer-to-peer network (5 users - all licensed). Is there anything I should be aware of/consider for FE/BE on peer-to-peer that would be different from client/server?

My only thoughts are:
- BE needs to be on an "always on" pc
- ideally BE pc should be low useage i.e. have plenty of resources available
- security?

Chris

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Today, 05:06
When you say 'peer-to-peer network' I think of bittorrent protocols. Or did you mean something else like ad-hoc network?

If it's latter where there is no server but just a bunch of workstation and a router, it's no different from a server-client, except that one workstation get to be the "server"; protocols work the same way, since the router handle all DHCPs and network traffic.

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Today, 13:06
Just make sure that the pc that has the back end on does not have any power saving settings. Like sleep and hibernation. Has one place that had this set up and they always complained about dropped connections to the back end. It turned out that the host pc was set to hibernate after two hours without keyboard or mouse activity. And when the part time clerk went home she left her machine on, as expected, but becuase there was no activity it went to sleep and users lost their connection. Duh!!

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom