Access w/SQL Linked tables Slow/not responding started today (1 Viewer)

vxr

Local time
Today, 01:37
My understanding is that you can't use switches directly with GPO. You need an .MST file to transform the package. "Windows SDK components for Windows Installer developers" has a program Orca that is supposed to facilitate this but every link on MS site kept hitting me with an error saying I don't have permission. Today I found this https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/windows-sdk/
seems to be what I was looking for. Not sure why the link didn't work yesterday.

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:37
Many comments from current & former MVPs, DBAs and various articles on the subject.
I'm sure you can find links discussing the different versions
Very wooly response, @Colin.

I'm sure I could spend an age trawling the internet, but some pointers of where to look to back up your bold blanket statement would be helpful!

got a message that it couldn't install on my operating system
Possible you might have d/l'd 32bit or ARM build by mistake?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi
I had downloaded a 32-bit version by mistake and deleted the sentence almost immediately when I realised.

Sorry but I don't have time to trawl the internet at the moment

autoritat

Local time
Today, 07:37
I had the same issue, among all the slowdown is huge in append querys from local table to the linked table on sql server or with querys between local access table and linked tables from sql server

I've installed ODBC Driver 17 and replace my actual odbc connection with a 17 version and, after a complicated day in my work, finally it works fine as before

Thanks for all your comments on the forum
Best regards

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:37
I believe the generic driver was written for SQL Server 2000 and lacks some security features available in recent versions
Having said that I have been happy to use the old generic driver for years both for convenience (as it is ubiquitous) and because I don't use the latest SQL Server features. However this bug, although quickly fixed, is a wake-up call at least for me for me to update
MS should install the latest driver with Access in addition to the old driver. That would get people to update. It is really beyond the capabilities of Access developers to ensure that proper drivers are installed on all PCs that run their applications. I know in small shops everybody does everything but developers don't have the tools or training to do stuff like this efficiently.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I can confirm the SQL driver slowdown has been fixed in the Current Channel.
You will just need to reopen Access for this to take effect. No version update required

irade92

Registered User.
Local time
I had the same issue, among all the slowdown is huge in append querys from local table to the linked table on sql server or with querys between local access table and linked tables from sql server

I've installed ODBC Driver 17 and replace my actual odbc connection with a 17 version and, after a complicated day in my work, finally it works fine as before

Thanks for all your comments on the forum
Best regards
Hi..I have the same problem, slowdown from local table to MySQL server, with querries... Any idea how to fasten it?

autoritat

Local time
Hi..I have the same problem, slowdown from local table to MySQL server, with querries... Any idea how to fasten it?
As the problem with the ODBC is solved those queries runs correctly as before. Nevertheless while i had the issue i solved partially changing the query first appending the server side table on another local table and exceute the query between just local tables

irade92

Registered User.
Local time

As the problem with the ODBC is solved those queries runs correctly as before. Nevertheless while i had the issue i solved partially changing the query first appending the server side table on another local table and exceute the query between just local tables
let put it this way...I have three PC working on front end and adding some data to local tables and when they finished, they transfer the data into ODBC connected table in MySQL server..tranffering this data is slow. I use append query from local tables to ODBC linked table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom