Addressing Different Printer Issues (1 Viewer)

rainman89

I cant find the any key..
Local time
Today, 07:35
I was wondering if anyone has a way of addressing the fact that users often have different printers that, on occasion will cause the reports to print out formatted incorrectly.

I have had a few tell me that a bitmap placed on the report, also a checkbox has not shown up for them when they try to print. Yet others seem to have no problem.

I'm almost positive there is no way for this to be addressed without giving each user the exact same printer w driver that I use. I just wanted to know how others have addressed this problem, if any have experienced it.

Thanks in advance

dkinley

Access Hack by Choice
Local time
Today, 06:35
I look at them stupid and say, "You probably need to call your IT department and have someone fix your printer issues, because it works for everyone but you." :p

In the end, they usually end up getting a printer like everyone else if it is that critical.

-dK

rainman89

Local time
I look at them stupid and say, "You probably need to call your IT department and have someone fix your printer issues, because it works for everyone but you." :p

In the end, they usually end up getting a printer like everyone else if it is that critical.

-dK
Ha ha and what if i am the IT department???? :confused::eek::D

dkinley

Access Hack by Choice
Local time
Ummm ... sorry duder?

I've never investigated the reasons. One would think that Access renders and presents the data to the driver which would then take care of the rest as it does for everything else. The conclusions one could draw is that some bits of Access do not follow standards, or that specific printer manufacturers (or the sub contractors) do not code their drivers to acceptable standards.

Once, when I was in IT for HP, I did a Windows 3.51 NT install, and of course - the HP printer for the HP finance bubba didn't work. I was reamed on the spot. My response was to point across the campus to where the print driver division was and say if you have any complaints, take them over there - they are the ones that write the drivers.

It was my understanding that writing for 3.51 was notoriously awful because no driver would pass testing 100%. I am not sure if it is the same nowadays, but assume that standardization has came along way. I would also point to margins as an example. A .5 margin on one printer is (sometimes) different from another printer - the error must be with the printer and not Word?

I would tend think that the majority of the fault would lie with printer and/or printer drivers - Access does have its issues but then again, I have been 180 degrees in the wrong before.

Anyhow, that is why I lay blame on the printer side - because the print rendering from Access works successfully too many times to point the overall error there.

Just my .02,

-dK

rainman89

Local time
I totally agree on the blaming of the printer. Thats what I did and will continue to do.

Appreciate your input on the matter!

dkinley

Access Hack by Choice
Local time
No problem. Since I have my usual spiel down pat and never gave it much thought after, I am curious to hear other opinions or revelations to see if I, too, should modify my way of thinking. =]

Good topic!
-dK

thatlem

Registered User.
Local time
One thing that can help is to squeeze the report down as much as possible. I have found that some printers will have a default margin set at 1 inch on each side and others only 0.5 inches. Not exactly sure of your formating concerns, but if it is something of a word wrap issue, take a look at the report and squeeze it right to left. Also, you might want to see if the report design page is going beyond that 7 or 7 1/2 inch edge, as this will force additional blank pages between the printed page.

This has resolved some of our issues.
Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom