Advice: New computer or fix the old one (1 Viewer)

RexesOperator

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:49
I have developed a certain amount of respect for your general knowledge of computers etc beyond just Access.

I have a 3 year old Dell notebook - the warranty ran out in January. I recently (May) replaced the hard drive. Now it has a faulty RAM slot. Fortunately there are two, so it is still functional. I was hoping this one would last until 2009 when I retire.

Can the slot be repaired? Is it worth it? Or would it be better to get a new notebook? I don't really want to get involved with Vista until some of the bugs I've heard about are addressed.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:49
If a RAM slot "goes bad", it is usually "fixed" by simply blowing it out with dry air and inserting and removing the stick of memory several times. They are almost always gold plated so no corrosion ever develops, just dust and dirt.

RexesOperator

Registered User.
Local time
If a RAM slot "goes bad", it is usually "fixed" by simply blowing it out with dry air and inserting and removing the stick of memory several times. They are almost always gold plated so no corrosion ever develops, just dust and dirt.

I will see if it can be cleaned out. Given the threat of static I think I will have my local repair person look at it first.

Have you played with Visat and Office 2007 yet?

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:49
Neither one yet. I'm dragging my feet on a Vista PC until the complaints subside, probably with SR1 which I understand is being rushed to press.

Newman

Québécois
Local time

Why change XP for Vista? XP has done a great job for me, and what I've seen in forums about Vista isn't all positive. Sure the graphics are cool, but when you need a good computer for work, you don't look at fanciness.
I might get a new computer with Vista for home and buy the flight simulator, but will definitely keep XP at work.

As for Office 2007, I haven't seen much differences worth the switch.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 21:49
50to1

What's with the small font? I moved from Utteraccess to here when they redesigned the layout and a smaller font was used, O K I know it's my fault I can't see too well, no central vision in right eye, left eye Lazy eye from birth now trying to do work of both but managing with normal fonts, so why, please?

Brian

Newman

Québécois
Local time
I agree, you should think about the elders.;)

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Today, 13:49
Ahh Colin - its so a few sneaky comments can be brought in , that might bypass your eagle eyes-only kidding:D

I would recycle-reuse the laptop - if it works then keep it - do some decent back up , dragi tout as long as poss

kidrobot

Registered User.
Local time
I say keep your laptop for quick/on the go type things. And make a new desktop!!!!!!!

GaryPanic

Local time
Brian you need a perscription screen (only kidding) ... (Not nice to take the mick out of someone who suffers - although I hope you will forgive the jest ..)

g

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Please accept my humble apologies... :eek:

Never thought people with eye prpoblems would have their screens set so they couldnt see the small font... I have mine maxed out because I have macular degeneration...

If you set the screen to see the small print don't you end up with lots of scrolling?, this was what happened on UtteraAccess and made scanning posts a pain in the neck instead of the eye.:D

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Brian you need a perscription screen (only kidding) ... (Not nice to take the mick out of someone who suffers - although I hope you will forgive the jest ..)

g

Taken as meant, my daughters have been giving me a hard time about my being follicly(sp) challeged for 30 add years.

brian

RexesOperator

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for verifying my thoughts guys. Just because we're old doesn't mean we're useless.

I was only considering Vista and Office 2007 if it looked like I had to buy a new system anyway. I back the notebook up religiously. The backup made losing my hard drive less painful.

I also have a Toshiba notebook running WindowsME without problems (I realize that sounds like an oxymoron). I will keep on chugging with WindowsXP and on the notebook.

GaryPanic

Local time
a friend of mine (yes I have 1 ) is still using old PC from way back, and his thoughts on this are - is it still working yes , do I need faster no. right keep the PC he has, no need to upgrade - when it dies he will at that point buy the best he can afford . and milk that one for as long as possible ..

g

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
I've never run an 'upgrade' on an existing OS set-up. Always run a clean install from scratch with a fresh new drive, using the old drive for back-up and gradual cross-over of files.

I'm leaving Vista well alone for at least another service pack or two :p

hooks

Registered User.
Local time
I have tried Vista and Office 2007. I love office 2007 but do not like Vista at all. I ended up reloading XP pro with Office 2007 and will not use Vista. From what i could tell it doesn't offer anything new. It was dog slow compared to XP and i use a 3.6 3 gig memory pc with a ATI video card. Also I had all kinds of trouble getting Microsofts flagship vista game Flight Sim to load.

Hooks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom