Solved Allowable file types for import (1 Viewer)

DickyP

Local time
Today, 16:32
I feel that the forum should allow, as well as the current allowed file types the text Object definitions one can export out of Access: by definition they can be no more dangerous than a .txt or a .accdb file, or embedded code in posts. And one assumes that the site has anti-virus software!

The extensions are: .acf, .acm, .acq, .acr, and .acs files. (Forms, Modules, Queries, Reports, and Macros.)

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
To be honest, I have no knowledge of the risks of these and not sure if it has been asked about before. Anyknow know if zip files can be uploaded here? If so, you can do that.

DickyP

Local time
They are literally just text files, so I uploaded one by changing its type to .txt, and telling people to re-name before use.. Given they are just a text representation of Access objects they are the same as are being happily uploaded inside an .accdb file. See the content of a typical .acf file in the text file below:

Attachments

• fpopListReferences (2).txt
    109.6 KB · Views: 10

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Yes you can zip files and I recommend it for most purposes when attaching files, both to reduce file size and to extend the available file types
I do this for all file types not in the list e.g. text files such as .json, .xml, .html and registry files .reg.

I believe all of those are more commonly used than the suffixes you suggested, none of which I've ever used when saving database objects as text files

Last edited:

GPGeorge

George Hepworth
Local time
Today, 08:32
I feel that the forum should allow, as well as the current allowed file types the text Object definitions one can export out of Access: by definition they can be no more dangerous than a .txt or a .accdb file, or embedded code in posts. And one assumes that the site has anti-virus software!

The extensions are: .acf, .acm, .acq, .acr, and .acs files. (Forms, Modules, Queries, Reports, and Macros.)
Are these standard extensions we would find in a Windows app list of default file types? Windows 11 keeps tweaking the interface and making it harder and harder to find familiar features.

DickyP

Local time
They are 'standard' Microsoft Access file types in that they are wanted for the built in Access LoadfromText and SaveAsText procedures. I am finding it difficult to believe so many experienced Access users appear to have never heard of what has been a functionality of Access since Access 2000.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I use SaveAsText & LoadFromText regularly and have done so for at least 24 years. I have never used those file suffixes when I do so.

As neither of those commands is documented there are no articles to confirm the standard file types.

A Google search for .acf suggested it as a Steam Valve file (for gaming) or an Adobe Photoshop file
None of those are listed in Windows Settings as file types:

1714251092789.png

Please explain what information you have about these being 'wanted' for those procedures.

Josef P.

Local time
Today, 17:32
Note:
I know .acf, .acm, etc. from the text export via the Microsoft Access SCC Add-in (I think this was available until Access 2010).
However, you can also give these files the extension .txt and they can still be imported with LoadFromText.

Last edited:

DickyP

Local time
Josef P has beaten me to it - I learned about LoadFrom/SaveAs from Visual SourceSafe (which, I might add, I really miss for integrated Version control WITHIN Access: indeed it was the main reason I kept using Access 2003 until my old PC died in 2021). As these were the extensions VSS gave them I have always used them. Must admit that I never did try using any other extensions - rather silly of me really.

Given that this is the case I'll mark the thread resolved.

On a separate but related note I often find Default file types to be a nuisance, where I use different programs for the same sorts of files according to circumstance. For instance I have 4 different text editors which I use according to the sort of manipulation I wish to do.

Last edited:

ebs17

Local time
Counter question: If you could upload these formats to the forum - who could and would want to read them directly?
Should one put together his own database from 10 files instead of the questioner simply providing an example with data?
My first encounter with a database usually takes place by looking at the relationships (database schema). Where would this information come from?

DickyP

Local time
This feature would be most useful on the forum for just providing an example form or report, instead of having to provide a sample DB with it/them included. You can just import the object straight into one of your databases to 'play-with'. Modules are less useful as a simple .bas file does the job as well or better, if there is too much text just to place on the forum in a post. I agree that for a whole database this system would be counter productive.

It is NOT useful for the data side of things since as originally within the VSS integrated system the bits not saved as text (such as settings, relationships, references, tables etc) were saved by VSS as a .acb file which only VSS manipulated.

Away from its value, or otherwise, to the forum, the files are most useful for Configuration Management and backup purposes. Given that I am obsessive about such things it gives me a long history and a viable recovery process for individual items when they get corrupted.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
providing an example form or report, instead of having to provide a sample DB with it/them included

Forms rarely work without data - so what type of form are you referring to? If you did upload such a form, you would need to rebind the form to your dataset and perhaps the uploaded form has different expectations regarding relationships, data types etc. which won’t be documented.

and what is the problem with zipping the file?

Suggest zip such a file and upload - see what the response is

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I also think it would be a rare occasion when uploading a solitary form or report as a text file would be of use to others.
However, SaveAsText / LoadFromText do not need these obscure file types.
When it is of use to upload a database object as a text file, just save as .txt and the user can still use LoadFromText on that file
EDIT - oops I see @Josef P. has already written that!

I think adding .bas as an allowed file type would be significantly more useful ...

1714310730832.png

As they aren't allowed, I just zip those

Last edited:

ebs17

Local time
It is better to display VBA codes as well as SQL statements from queries as code in the forum instead of packing them in a file that is not user-friendly.

The text files mentioned, which contain the definition of Access objects, play a role more for developers themselves, for example in source code management like Ivercy or in repair tools like TM - RebuildDatabase.

GPGeorge

George Hepworth
Local time
Today, 08:32
Note:
I know .acf, .acm, etc. from the text export via the Microsoft Access SCC Add-in (I think this was available until Access 2010).
However, you can also give these files the extension .txt and they can still be imported with LoadFromText.
Ah, that explains it. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom