ALT - Print Screen (1 Viewer)

PaulJR

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:01
Surprising I've been unable to find any info on this.

I am writing a user manual for my database and I'd like to 'copy' various forms and stuff to the clipboard, and then paste them into Word.

The trouble is, when I use ALT-Print Screen, it copies the whole Access display (everything I can see on my monitor), rather than just the selected form. I have tried various combinations of Ctrl, Alt etc.

Does anyone know how to copy just the selected form to the clipboard?

Thanks.

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 04:01
There's a program called Snagit that's real good for this. I'm not sure there's anything in the Windows OS to do it.

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 04:01
Follow-up: I quess you could paste it into Paint & trim it up...

Local time
Today, 03:01
I particularly like Gadwin Printscreen (free download) for this. It has all kinds of options for where the output of a screen print will go, the shape of the printscreen, and the format of any files it creates.

It's a slick little program and is available here: http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/

HTH

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Or, cheaper still, in Word you can click on the clip and select View, Toolbar, Picture. You'll see on the picture toolbar an icon that looks almost like #, if you move the cursor over it is says "crop". Once clicked you get the grab handles available to crop the picture.

PaulJR

Registered User.
Local time
THANK YOU!! The crop tool does the job really well.

Unfortunately the company I work for doesn't allow us to download and install anything.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
I know the feeling. They expect you to do a decent job but won't let you source the tools for it :D

dkinley

Access Hack by Choice
Local time
Just .02, when you go to paste the picture into the Word file, I "paste special" as a Windows metafile instead of a normal paste which will store it as a bitmap. This will decrease the size of the Word file and keep images looking sharpish.

The caveat is you can't double-click it again and edit it as you would an embedded bitmap, but if you are going to do alot of pictures it is well worth investigating.

-dK

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
That sounds like a great idea dk, but I don't get that option! I only get the options for Bitmap or Device Independent Bitmap. I'm using Word 2002, is this option version specific or is there something else that needs to be installed? I've just got the council version of Word, obviously. :(

PaulJR

Registered User.
Local time
I don't get that option either and I'm using Word 2003. But I do use the paste special and experiement to find the best option for file size and quality images.

Thanks.

dkinley

Access Hack by Choice
Local time
That sounds like a great idea dk, but I don't get that option! I only get the options for Bitmap or Device Independent Bitmap. I'm using Word 2002, is this option version specific or is there something else that needs to be installed? I've just got the council version of Word, obviously. :(

Errr ... I don't know :eek:

A friend of mine turned me on to it once and it was always there for me. Never had to look into it.

-dK

PaulJR

Registered User.
Local time
Errr ... I don't know :eek:

A friend of mine turned me on to it once and it was always there for me. Never had to look into it.

-dK

I think it depends on what type of info is held in the clipboard. I have seen the Enhanced Metafile (and many others) before when I have tried to paste other file types. But with the 'print screen' type, it only seems to give 2 options when you use paste special.

dkinley

Access Hack by Choice
Local time
Hmmm.

My normal method is to either print screen or use snag it (depends on the machine I'm on). Either way, I clean up the picture in Paint and then copy it from there. That might be why I am given the option of Picture (Windows Metafile) along with the others.

-dK

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
OK, I think I've figured this out. In Word you need to select Tools then Options and Edit, you can then set the Insert / Paste picture as to Square. This has the same effect as inset Windows Metafile, ie when you crop you can't uncrop. The difference is that this sets it as a default.

dkinley

Access Hack by Choice
Local time
Interesting. I have the paste option in '07 but don't know where to set it (is new to me) to see if it's the same.

Oh well, sorry to cause a stir. Just wanted to point out the difference in overall file size depending on paste method.

-dK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom