Alternative non Server BackEnd to Jet (1 Viewer)

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:04
If i use Docmd.OpenReport "myRpt1", acNormal, would placing an DoEvents immediately after it help my objective or better than Sleep 1500.
You are comparing apples and bananas:
Sleep/Wait/Loop does not give the control back to the system.
DoEvents does and the same does Breakpoints in the code.
And that's exactly what's needed if there is a timing problem, giving the control back to the system so it can finish the previous work

Another solution, seen from a different perspective, is to replace the problem computer with a newer one, (as I read it is only one), because how many hours do you have to "waste" on a problem, before it is cheaper to buy a new computer. :)

FuzMic

DataBase Tinker
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:04
Gentlemen, Thank you for you continuous nudging me up my slow learning curve. Really appreciate all the kind effort.

JHB I still have no idea how to put Breakpoints in my codes, some simple examples please. :eek:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:04
To place a breakpoint in code:

1. Open the Visual Basic window to the module containing the code you want to examine in this way.

2. Find the line at which you want to pause.

3. If you click on the left margin (essentially, column 1) of that window you can highlight it. Do so.

4. Hit the F9 key to toggle the breakpoint for that line on or off.

5. You know the breakpoint is set when there is a big round dot to the left of column 1 in the "gutter" that is at the left edge of the code window.

6. Faster alternative: Just click in the gutter adjacent to that line. You don't even need to highlight the line. Clicking that spot toggles the breakpoint.

Remember that when you set the breakpoint and then start executing code, VB execution stops BEFORE it executes that line, not AFTER.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
JHB I still have no idea how to put Breakpoints in my codes, some simple examples please. :eek:
Why didn't you say that in first place, I suspected that someone with> 500 post in this forum would know that.
Then I think the below link could be very interesting for you, not only how to set breakpoint, which already is explained by the The_Doc_Man, but also how to debug code.
You can not work at a higher level MS-Access, without knowing these facilities.
https://www.techonthenet.com/access/tutorials/vbadebug/debug02.php

FuzMic

DataBase Tinker
Local time
:eek:Oh!. My 2 gurus, I know this breakpoint & had used it frequently, only in debugging.

But it never strike me to use within a running script. When there is break would the user then have to handle it to proceed. Is that what you mean? See, in spite of years of tinkering / posting, knowledge comes in many facets. :eek:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:04
No, this is NOT something you would make available to a user. It is a programming debugging and testing tool, not a production-oriented tool. I think we are having a communications issue again. You, as the developer of this app, would be the ONLY person who should EVER see a breakpoint.

Let me take a different direction. If your goal is simply to pause something for a while, try using a message box with the vbOKOnly option and tell your user to "Click OK when ready" if THAT was what you wanted done. But from the previous discussion, this seems to have drifted away from the original problem.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
...But from the previous discussion, this seems to have drifted away from the original problem.
I do agree, seems that what I write only causes confusion, so maybe it's better to let you two handle the problem.
Good luck with your project.

FuzMic

DataBase Tinker
Local time
Guys of course if i want a break for a user, i simply use a MsgBox for user to enter to move on. That is what you both mean.

There is no real miscommunication, just hiccup in our exchange, not to worry, all efforts fully appreciated as always; your presence is all that counts. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom