Alternative to replication?

yoritomo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:45
I am having multiple user problems with access 2000 quite frequently, and I thought that replication would solve this, as it stands however its proving difficult to get my hands on the developer edition, just wondering, is it worth the hassle to get it, or is there an effective alternative to replication?

Replication doesn't require anything from the developer's edition. You already have what you need.

Have you split the database into a front end and back end? This is generally a more stable method. Each user has his own personal copy of the fe on his c:/ drive and all are linked to the shared be on the server.

Yeah that was my work around I was planning on, erm I should have expanded on my replication problem to be honest, l I need about 7 seperate version, but yeah link tables was what I was planning on, long term plan is to move the back end onto SQL

Start with splitting the database since you haven't already done that. If SQL server is available to you and you have large tables or more users than Access can handle comfortably, then upsizing the tables to SQL server and leaving the front end as an .mdb usually works well. Do not upsize to an .adp. That technology is still supported but no longer being enhanced.

Read the kb articles on client/server so you understand how you may need to change your forms if you are using "Access" techniques rather than "client/server" techniques when you create your forms.

(microsoft) knowledge base

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom