Am I the only one that switches ABBA off?

My "As long as you can agree what R&R and Blues are of course!" was actually semi-serious. The Blues of Ma Rainey in the 1920s is wildly different to that of Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan etc a century later, and a common cause of argument amongst aficionados.

The premise is your driving in your car and ABBA pops on the radio for the tenth time this week, what do you do?
I can handle that.
I find the Christmas season much worse. There are relatively few Christmas songs played on the radio, and it feels like they are played every hour, for weeks.
While Christmas is supposed to be a celebration of peace and joy, such constant noise tends to make me more frustrated and aggressive.

While Christmas is supposed to be a celebration of peace and joy, such constant noise tends to make me more frustrated and aggressive.
Ditto!!

We have radio station called kJAzz, on Sundays they feature a DJ who has a show called "nothing but the blues". The DJ plays many songs where rock intersects with blues, it's the best of both worlds in my opinion. It's never repeated and always leaves you wanting more, unlike the canned elevator music.

So, Abba, Celine Dion, and a few other hasbeens, asked Trump to stop playing their music at his rallies. I think he should and I think he should announce that he is acceding to their wishes at his next rally. Apparently, they feel that they can alienate half of America. So, let them. See how it works out. It worked out so well for Bud Lite;)

I can handle that.
I find the Christmas season much worse. There are relatively few Christmas songs played on the radio, and it feels like they are played every hour, for weeks.

I'm the opposite - I love the traditional, Christian and secular (but mostly Christian) Christmas songs SO much I play them year-round on my Pandora station. I find them incredibly peaceful and calm-inducing.
That said, your experience is common, I'm probably in the minority
I think my experience is born out of a childhood experience I had wherein we stood around the piano and sang those songs with Dad and Mom while Mom played the piano - very good memory

Pretty bad when the Village People tell you not to play their music.
Trump's probably not giving that one up. But he should just make an announcement --
"A number of artists have requested that I not play their music at my rallies. So, I will comply. However, they need to clarify whether or not that extends to the 50% of voters who support my campaign. We can all stop listening to your music it that will make you happy:). Let me know."

Ask Bud Lite and Target how alienating half of America worked out for them.

"A number of artists have requested that I not play their music at my rallies ,,,"
However, these rallies are not about listening to music, but about highlighting individuals and political views. Musicians and other artists have their own views and attitudes and do not necessarily want to be taken over by others with the assumption that they are marching in lockstep.

Who would not have found it extremely macabre if the traditional song "Silent Night, Holy Night" had been played while at the same time hundreds of Jews were being driven into a gas chamber to be exterminated.

However, these rallies are not about listening to music, but about highlighting individuals and political views. Musicians and other artists have their own views and attitudes and do not necessarily want to be taken over by others with the assumption that they are marching in lockstep.
And so Trump shouldn't play their music. I think that is what I said. But, he should not go quietly into the night. He should tell people why he is doing it so they can make their own determination because essentially, he is allowing the artists to have a political voice. You can't keep that hidden.

Does Trump have a public performance license, this is the question?

Swedish supergroup ABBA recently demanded that Donald Trump stop using their music at his campaign rallies, highlighting a common conflict between artists and political campaigns.

Despite ABBA’s objections, Trump’s campaign claims it has the proper licenses to legally play their songs. This incident is part of a broader pattern where artists have objected to the use of their music in political contexts, raising questions about the legal and ethical implications of such uses.

Didn't know it required his permission.
Their demand that he not play their music is a political statement and if he stops, they are entitled to tell the world that they made him stop. THAT is a political statement.

And it requires his permission to make a political statement?
Are musicians not allowed to make political statements?

ascap.jpg

Are musicians not allowed to make political statements?
Of course they are but Trump doesn't need to allow them to profit from it.

No one could say, OK - the biased media can say whatever they like, that there is anything political to infer from Trump's use of certain songs. The lyrics are not political in nature, they are simply peppy songs that make people bounce when they walk. Who doesn't love YMCA? I don't know if you remember elevator music. I don't spend enough time in high-rises anymore to know if it is still common practice but I remember working at the Hartford Insurance Group in the early 70's on the 14th floor of the home office when I found myself marching down the aisle on a Monday morning keeping time with a John Philip Sousa march. The point of the peppy music is to make the crowd happy and bouncy while Trump enters and exits and then to leave on an upbeat note. The music has no political context. It is essentially mood control.

Now, Alice's Restaurant IS a political song about very funny, TRUE story. It was probably embellished in the retelling but it is still a funny story. If any of you have never listened to it, you might get a kick out of it.

Now, Alice's Restaurant IS a political song about very funny, TRUE story. It was probably embellished in the retelling but it is still a funny story. If any of you have never listened to it, you might get a kick out of it.
It's all local for me. Arlo has a farm on the other side of the mountain, The restaurant location and the church are local. The trial was in the town hall courtroom (which was also used in the movie) The judge lived in my Brother in laws mothers house.

About 8-10 years ago I had a case where a couple kids were hired to clean out a house. They illegally dumped the trash and lo and behold there was some mail in the pile of trash. The police questioned the owner who indicated the kids were responsible for dumping the trash. Of course the local paper dubbed the case as a sequel to Alice's restaurant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom