are queries slow? Or am i doing something wrong?? (1 Viewer)

Chrisopia

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:42
I am implementing a till system, which works fine and everything, but it's replaced a standalone till which was very limited and difficult to program.

The calculations are straight forward for the End of Day and End of Week...
1. It adds up the sales for each department (20 in total)
2. It adds up all the sub total values
3. It adds up all the VAT values
4. It adds them together to give you a grand total

At the end of week, it does the same but for the entire week.
The whole thing is registered by unique Z1 (end of day) and Z2 (end of week) values.

Seems pretty straight forwards, but when I make an access version, you'd assume a med-hi spec PC would handle the calculations faster than a glorified calculator... but for some reason it's just not cutting it.

On the till, you turn the key, press a sequence, and the receipt prints out instantly.
On the access till system I am implementing, you type in a code and a receipt prints out eventually!

I've tried using pure vba, and I've tried pure queries, but they are still sluggish.
It still has to calculate over 20 queries, and a sub total, and cash totals, and populate a report to print it out. The whole thing can seem to take around 30 seconds, and if people are impatient, they will just see the waiting symbol and click multiple times for a response, ironically causing it to not respond until it's finished calculating.

The queries are plain and simple, but there is one for each department and for each transaction type (cash / card etc)
Then there's another set for the end of week...

I'm not sure how the till does it, but why would a PC be slower than the glorified calculator of a standalone till?

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 05:42
It still has to calculate over 20 queries,

My guess is you are running unnecessary/inefficient queries. Can you post your database?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom