At least Jackson got some Publicity (1 Viewer)

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 05:33
Associated Press
About 1,000 death penalty supporters and opponents gathered outside the prison to await the execution. Singer Joan Baez, actor Mike Farrell and the Rev. Jesse Jackson were among the celebrities who protested the execution.

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Today, 10:33
Was this in relation to the execution of "Tookie"?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
If Tookie was sentenced to death 24 years ago, why wasn't he executed 24 years ago?

Col

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
ColinEssex said:
If Tookie was sentenced to death 24 years ago, why wasn't he executed 24 years ago?

It's certainly a strange one although I suppose it has to be accepted that it's the law of that particular state. All those protestors and such can campaign all they want for clemency but the fact is he was sentenced to death in 1980 (or thereabouts) and he died that day, if not officially. His peace work and literature since, as it relates to his case and appeals for clemency, is irrelevant.

I am confused, however, as to why a state would let a man sentenced to die have almost a quarter of a century in which to find religion, respect, and to become an active (albeit restricted) force for good; and then take it all away. That's sadistic!

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
SJ McAbney said:
I am confused, however, as to why a state would let a man sentenced to die have almost a quarter of a century in which to find religion, respect, and to become an active (albeit restricted) force for good; and then take it all away. That's sadistic!

Because the unfortunate fact of life is that in keeping with the ideals of justice and allowing for the possibility of mistakingly finding an innocent to be guilty, there must be the opportunity for appeals. Problem is that lately it seems that the appeals process is way out of control. The bleeding hearts do not see it as sadistic, they see it as an opportunity to prove innocence, or even more misguided, prove that "everyone can be rehabilitated". In a perfect world this approach would not be necessary, but...

R

Rich

Bodisathva said:
Because the unfortunate fact of life is that in keeping with the ideals of justice
what justice got to do with executing a human being in the first place?:confused:

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
what justice got to do with executing a human being in the first place?:confused:

That depends greatly upon your point of view:

-Removal from the gene pool to guard against future generations of badguys
-Protect the general public from further transgressions
-To serve as a deterrant for other misguided souls
-Eye for an eye
(there are more, I'm certain)

Personally, I'd agree with the first three, but despite standard rhetoric, I do not find an eye for an eye to be valid, but it is a point often made by others. I do not find life in prison to be a valid form of punishment. We give them three square meals, cable TV, gym facilities, conjugal visits...it is supposed to be punishment instead of a drain on the resources of the taxpayer.

R

Rich

Bodisathva said:
That depends greatly upon your point of view:

-Removal from the gene pool to guard against future generations of badguys

A guy called Adolf had the same idea:rolleyes:

-Protect the general public from further transgressions
-To serve as a deterrant for other misguided souls

Then by your country's own statistics it doesn't work

-Eye for an eye
(there are more, I'm certain)
ah the Old Testament, often quoted by right wingers who conveniently ignore the teachings of Jesus and the New Testament.

Personally, I'd agree with the first three, but despite standard rhetoric, I do not find an eye for an eye to be valid, but it is a point often made by others. I do not find life in prison to be a valid form of punishment. We give them three square meals, cable TV, gym facilities, conjugal visits...it is supposed to be punishment instead of a drain on the resources of the taxpayer

why bother paying for kids to go to school then, after all 1/3 of them are failures according to your own statistics.
Violence breeds violence, execution is just a way of sweeping society's failures under the carpet, a throwback to the middle ages.
If murder is wrong then nobody has the right to commit it and that includes the state.
I bet the Hurricane was glad he didn't enjoy your version of justice eh.

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
A guy called Adolf had the same idea:rolleyes:

not quite...genocide is not equivalent

Rich said:
Then by your country's own statistics it doesn't work
agreed...but then again, the US hasn't exactly committed to capital punishment across the board...except for Texas, which is trying to put in an Express Lane

Rich said:
ah the Old Testament, often quoted by right wingers who conveniently ignore the teachings of Jesus and the New Testament.
again, agreed...but please do not place me in that category...that sentiment is neither mine, nor am I a "right winger"

Rich said:
why bother paying for kids to go to school then, after all 1/3 of them are failures according to your own statistics.
not my statistics...that particular topic requires an in depth psychological vs. sociological discussion of cause and effect.

Rich said:
Violence breeds violence, execution is just a way of sweeping society's failures under the carpet, a throwback to the middle ages.
If murder is wrong then nobody has the right to commit it and that includes the state..
so, oh great and mighty Oz...how would you fix it?

R

Rich

Bodisathva said:
so, oh great and mighty Oz...how would you fix it?
Tackle the root cause of the problem, oh and I'm not from Oz by the way:D

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
it'll never change under his leadership, will it:( ;)
Lol... well considering he was the governor of Texas...

R

Rich

perhaps Republicans and Texans should be banned from high office, or just Texans, or just Texan Republicans:confused:

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
perhaps Republicans and Texans should be banned from high office, or just Texans, or just Texan Republicans:confused:

I say we should give the state back to Mexico...:D

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
Friday said:

I had heard that somewhere in Texas a village is missing their idiot...if we're going to return Texas to the Mexicans, let's send the idiot back along with, shall we?:cool:

R

Rich

Bodisathva said:
I had heard that somewhere in Texas a village is missing their idiot...if we're going to return Texas to the Mexicans, let's send the idiot back along with, shall we?:cool:
There's more than one of them though surely?:confused: :cool:

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Friday said:

In that case why not France, Spain, or The republic of Texas.

See Texas was an independent nation before it willingly joined the United States. So if any thing you have to give it back to the Republic of Texas.

Ya’ll need to get this straight.

The United States did NOT take Texas from Mexico.

R

Rich

jsanders said:
In that case why not France, Spain,
Josey, Josey, France belong to the Frenchies, nobody else wants it, who could you give it to?:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom