Question Auto E-mail (1 Viewer)

kasper5023

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:01
I am trying to find out how to edit the text of an auto e-mail in Access 2010. To my understanding, I think that there are different ways that access connects to the e-mail client and with that I am sure how it is communicating but I am trying to find a starting point to find out how to make these edits.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:01
You have to find the macro or VBA code that sends the email. Probably behind a button or other event.

kasper5023

Registered User.
Local time
I searched through all the macros that I could find and had no luck. I did search through the various forms and found the event associated to the button which revealed the code. I then tried to change the wording of the text string but when I saved it, others connected to the database could not see the changes. Totally stumped at this point....

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Not sure of your setup, but most of us distribute copies of the front end to users, rather than let them run all run it from a network location. If that's the setup there, you'll have to distribute a new version. Find out what the users actually run; it may (should) be a copy on their PC (and may be a mde/accde).

kasper5023

Registered User.
Local time
I do think that is the case here as well. What would be the distribution process to get them the new version? I know this should be something I should already know but I am relatively new to database management and trying to plow my way through this.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Ohh, there are a lot of different ways to do that. Typically a master copy is put on the network, and users run some sort of utility instead of the actual db. The utility handles the updates and then runs the db. Check what users actually click on to start the db. Some updates are done from within the db, but that must not be the case here.

kasper5023

Registered User.
Local time
:confused:............research required. I will have to check with my users to find out how that works.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I assume the person who set it all up isn't available?

kasper5023

Registered User.
Local time
Correct, I was hired for SharePoint but since our database ties into our SharePoint site, I was handed this project as well. My background was relatively basic in Access but have been reading and studying up on the functionality of this program. It is going to take some time, but I don't want to corrupt any data in the process.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Gotcha. Post back if you get more info or get stuck.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No problem, and good luck!

kasper5023

Registered User.
Local time
Hello Paul,

I am still working revising this text string for an automated e-mail within our database and have taken a stab at writing the lines of code and would like to know if there is a way to test it first before altering the original? I know that in most coding processes there is a compiler that can run code to check for errors, is that also the case with VBA coding?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:01
In the code window there is a debug menu item open that and select compile.

In all your code it is very useful at the top to include Option Explicit , put it underneath where it says Option Compare Database - This will force you to declare any variables, and avoids lots of issues during debugging.

kasper5023

Registered User.
Local time
Many thanks to you..........I have another issue that is stumping me. I have a user that is working out of the master copy of our database and thus locks me out from accessing it. In a previous thread, there was mention of a utility that front-end users use to access the database. Where can I find this utility and how can I make it available to this user so I am not always locked when they are logged in?

kasper5023

Registered User.
Local time
I have a database that I manage and have a question making changes to the structure. If I add or remove columns in my database after I have archived the data, will it present problems with that data and what should I be aware of if I make those changes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom